More detail on Flukes

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been reading a lot and I have followed a lot of these threads on sick fish. Now I find I'm in need of the collective expertise here.
I, of course, am the cause of my problems by not Qt'ing any of my fish for longer than a week or so. Lazy, selfish, stupid... yes all of these.

So my beautiful Purple tang has flukes. I know this because I see them on his cloudy eyes. He also had ick last week. When I noticed the ick I started trying to get things in motion. A. garlic in the food B. I had some focus so I decided it wouldn't hurt to put that in the food also. C I've been on craigslist trying to find a QT that isn't 10 gallons or 100 gallons...seems like that's all there is on there lately.

The plan so far... I'm going to do a fresh water dip on the purple tang to alleviate/confirm flukes. I'm in talks on a 30 gallon QT on facebook right now (praying he takes my offer). I'm going to the LFS to get some prazipro and copper. All the fish will come out and be in the QT for, I don't know... like 8 weeks? leaving the DT fallow. This all sucks.

Now, can I combine these meds? If not, which one takes precedence? I figure it's the flukes since the ick isn't effecting them right now. Is the flukes too far advanced to save my tang since its in the eyes?

Will 30 gallons be big enough for my 4 in purple tang, 3 in kole tang, green mandarin, two clowns, 1 yellow coris wrasse, 1 bangai cardinal, 1 firefish? Seems like I need a 55 for all these. I'm super short on funds, but I gotta find a way.

Thanks all in advance! Sorry, no pictures as of right now.

Cleo642

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why won't you go to Walmart and get a 55 gallon kit? $177, at least at the one I'm at. I am sure is not much different anywhere else. They come with a heater and all.

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why won't you go to Walmart and get a 55 gallon kit? $177, at least at the one I'm at. I am sure is not much different anywhere else. They come with a heater and all.

Because I just spent all my money going to a wedding in another state and going to the beach with my family. Not that much left over for a big QT. I'm making do

Ahruk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry to hear about that. What a nightmare! Sending good wish your way! Hopefully you're able to find a good cheap qt quick and get your fish back to health.

Ahruk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also you should see if there is a local reef club in your area. It's great to have people nearby who can help you in emergency situations like this. While they may not always be able to help, it's a great resource to have.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best deal on just a tank is Petco's $ per gallon sale when they run it. You can get a 2.5 - 55 gallon. Can't beat that.

If you think the PT has flukes in his eyes you need to do the FW dip ASAP. I don't save many once flukes reaches the eyes, but it's not completely hopeless. You will probably need to treat with a broad spectrum antibiotic afterwards to ward off infection.

The good news is you can mix copper & Prazipro together. I've done it many times. One downside is you might experience a mild bacterial bloom, which can easily be countered by pointing a powerhead towards the surface of the water for additional gas exchange. The other downside is the presence of copper reduces prazi's overall effective. However IME; it's still usually enough to get the job done.

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish

Fluke is easy to treat.
Ever used fenbendazol to treat it before?
The FW dip will remove quite a few but stresses the fish which you would not want if ich is suspected.

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also you should see if there is a local reef club in your area. It's great to have people nearby who can help you in emergency situations like this. While they may not always be able to help, it's a great resource to have.

I'm actually on the Board of Directors for a fish club here. Everybody I got an answer from advised me to go buy one. Totally helpful right? Didnt realize I could just go buy one! lol

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best deal on just a tank is Petco's $ per gallon sale when they run it. You can get a 2.5 - 55 gallon. Can't beat that.

If you think the PT has flukes in his eyes you need to do the FW dip ASAP. I don't save many once flukes reaches the eyes, but it's not completely hopeless. You will probably need to treat with a broad spectrum antibiotic afterwards to ward off infection.

The good news is you can mix copper & Prazipro together. I've done it many times. One downside is you might experience a mild bacterial bloom, which can easily be countered by pointing a powerhead towards the surface of the water for additional gas exchange. The other downside is the presence of copper reduces prazi's overall effective. However IME; it's still usually enough to get the job done.

Thanks Humblefish. I'm a little scared now, but I'm going to try my best.
Petco's sale was the first thing I thought of and, of course, they aren't doing that sale again until the new year. SO,..... I'm still on the hunt. I think I might be able to beg one from a friend but it may take some serious favors. I'll let ya know how it goes

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish

Fluke is easy to treat.
Ever used fenbendazol to treat it before?
The FW dip will remove quite a few but stresses the fish which you would not want if ich is suspected.

Praziquantel is the treatment of choice for Monogeneans (gills) - Fenbendazole for Nematodes (internal). However, a combination of Prazi & Metronidazole also works well on internal roundworms. I know some have also used Fenbendazole to eradicate blue cloves and other invasive soft corals (i.e. xenia).

There is also a product called "De-Los" which eradicates anchor worms & gill flukes - eggs and all - all in one shot. However, it is very harsh on the fish. :(

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@melypr1985 How many fish are you needing to QT? It's less than ideal, but something like this will work in a pinch: http://www.walmart.com/ip/20699652?...43808272&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=78307631072&veh=sem

You would still need at least a heater, HOB filter, powerhead and PVC elbows though.

Its 8 fish. I have one of those totes, but wasn't sure that would hold all 8 fish. I also already have a heater & filter. Just need pvc pieces and an ammonia alert badge. though that wont be esy to use without a clear side wall to the qt. So, will it hold all 8 fish?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its 8 fish. I have one of those totes, but wasn't sure that would hold all 8 fish. I also already have a heater & filter. Just need pvc pieces and an ammonia alert badge. though that wont be esy to use without a clear side wall to the qt. So, will it hold all 8 fish?

Yes, but you're gonna need a working biofilter to handle the ammonia. An Aquaclear HOB power filter (pics bel0w) fits well on a Sterilite and comes with a sponge capable of hosting nitrifying bacteria. It doesn't sound like you have time to seed the sponge, so you'll need to pour Bio-Spira, Seachem Stability or Dr Tim's Nitrifying Bacteria over the sponge to get it going.

Last time I moved, I used a 30 gal sterilite to transport all my fish (over 10 of them) and then they lived in that for almost 3 weeks before I got my tank setup.

lg-120207-FS64894K-fish.jpg
p-32929-61833-fish.jpg

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, but you're gonna need a working biofilter to handle the ammonia. An Aquaclear HOB power filter (pics bel0w) fits well on a Sterilite and comes with a sponge capable of hosting nitrifying bacteria. It doesn't sound like you have time to seed the sponge, so you'll need to pour Bio-Spira, Seachem Stability or Dr Tim's Nitrifying Bacteria over the sponge to get it going.

Last time I moved, I used a 30 gal sterilite to transport all my fish (over 10 of them) and then they lived in that for almost 3 weeks before I got my tank setup.

lg-120207-FS64894K-fish.jpg
p-32929-61833-fish.jpg

That's great to hear! I might be able to get this done today then! I actually put the filters cartridges in my sump when I bought the power filter. so they are seeded. (I at least thought that far ahead lol) Its not the sponge material shown in these pictures, so i'll get some of that at the LFS today when I go for the water and meds. I'll put some in my sump for seeding and the rest in my power filter and i'll seed it with dr tim's or equivalent. Thanks for the guidance. I have a list of things to get and I gotta get going to the LFS now! wish me luck!

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that. Try Craigslist too,they normally have tanks for sale in the pet section.

Nothing to be sorry about. We had a great time and we got to spend a lot of time with our family. Now I just have to make this happen.

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My friend is going to loan me his 40 breeder and an RODI unit so I can do frequent water changes. I'm just lucky he was in a good mood today. Whew! So I got the prazipro and ammonia alert badge and will start with the prazipro treatment, on Friday I will pick up the copper and test kits for it. I'm hoping to have all the fish out tonight, if not, then at least the purple tang will be in qt with the prazipro until morning when i'll get the rest out. Busy day ahead!

rajkovich207

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you already got the ball rolling on this but a fw dip isn't bad it's how I've gotten rid of flukes 4-5 times. Even if there is ich, they will explode in the fw because they can't regulate osmosis. It's still a good idea to treat in the qt with something but I'm a bit leary of copper. I use what's called noxich, paid like 3.99 a bottle. If I'm not mistaken it's some form of methylene blue and is not suppose to contain copper.

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know you already got the ball rolling on this but a fw dip isn't bad it's how I've gotten rid of flukes 4-5 times. Even if there is ich, they will explode in the fw because they can't regulate osmosis. It's still a good idea to treat in the qt with something but I'm a bit leary of copper. I use what's called noxich, paid like 3.99 a bottle. If I'm not mistaken it's some form of methylene blue and is not suppose to contain copper.

I'm actually trying to catch the big guy to give him a fresh water dip right now. I totally HAD him!! and he just wiggled out! He needs it bad. he's not eating his nori and i'm about to feed but I bet he wont eat that either. Wish me luck. We really need some prayers.

rajkovich207

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep a close eye on him while he's in there. Most of my fish went virtually motionless while in it and breathed real slow but I did have a wrasse that started floating funny. If he just doesn't look right then yank him out right away. Check his mouth for fuzzy looking stuff, gills to make sure they aren't red/inflamed/or have something in them. Check his eyes to make sure they aren't cloudy and check his fins to make sure they look clean health and full. He will keep them clamped close and or shimmy/shake if the ich is getting intolerable. I check all these things before I buy a fish and have some food thrown in before I take him home. Make sure he's eating, and may be his last meal for a couple days if he's stressed out.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 65 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 32.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back