More Kalkwasser questions.

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why I’m asking the following questions- I’m currently aiming for 8.3 via dosing kalk based off PH probe value. Since it got cold and windows are all closed up in the house, it’s taking more kalk than evap to maintain 8.3, so I’ve had to dial back a bit since adding a fan has not created enough evap. So, a couple questions have come up-

1) Vinegar to boost supersaturated kalk- Is this a legit way of getting a higher PH out of clear supersaturated Kalkwasser? If so, what is the method of doing so?

2) will amount of kalk “level out” as the tank hits 8.3 with the windows closed and a higher CO2 concentration in the air? What I mean by this is, it’s taking a long time of dosing, night and day, to maintain 8.3.. will this eventually require less kalk or is this just the require amount from here on out?

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First question I'd ask is are you chasing pH for a reason?

I've always used alkalinity to determine how much saturated kalkwasser needs to be added to my ATO to keep the level steady. While I do measure pH very occasionally, it has always been somewhere in the 8.15 - 8.3 range for my system (any season). As long as it's somewhere between 8.0 - 8.4, I'm a happy camper :).

One thing to consider is that a diurnal pH swing is perfectly normal in nature. pH is highest during the day due to the effects of photosynthesis and lower at night.

https://bostonreefers.org/forums/in...normal-even-at-the-great-barrier-reef.173522/

Vinegar can be added if kalkwasser alone won't meet the tank's alk and ca demands. However, being acidic it will lower the pH a bit (depending on how much is added).

While it is suggested that the optimal usage of Kalkwasser is to add it at night when pH is lowest, I've always just let the evap rate add my saturated Kalkwasser/RO whenever it is needed. If a system had severely depressed pH at night only, then night time additions make a lot of sense (more saturated kalkwasser added over a shorter time period when it's most needed compared to smaller all day additions).

Having run reef aquariums for a long time, pH is not one of the major things that I worry about in a mature and stable system. As long as the level is not abnormally high or low, it's all good IME.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BAMatter

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First question I'd ask is are you chasing pH for a reason?

I've always used alkalinity to determine how much saturated kalkwasser needs to be added to my ATO to keep the level steady. While I do measure pH very occasionally, it has always been somewhere in the 8.15 - 8.3 range for my system (any season). As long as it's somewhere between 8.0 - 8.4, I'm a happy camper :).

One thing to consider is that a diurnal pH swing is perfectly normal in nature. pH is highest during the day due to the effects of photosynthesis and lower at night.

https://bostonreefers.org/forums/in...normal-even-at-the-great-barrier-reef.173522/

Vinegar can be added if kalkwasser alone won't meet the tank's alk and ca demands. However, being acidic it will lower the pH a bit (depending on how much is added).

While it is suggested that the optimal usage of Kalkwasser is to add it at night when pH is lowest, I've always just let the evap rate add my saturated Kalkwasser/RO whenever it is needed. If a system had severely depressed pH at night only, then night time additions make a lot of sense (more saturated kalkwasser added over a shorter time period when it's most needed compared to smaller all day additions).

Having run reef aquariums for a long time, pH is not one of the major things that I worry about in a mature and stable system. As long as the level is not abnormally high or low, it's all good IME.
Thanks. I’ve been focusing on the ACI Aquaculture method of dosing kalk to stabilize PH. My local shop introduced it to me after he switched all his service account tanks over with great results.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding vinegar will reduce the pH effect of the added kalkwasser.

No, the pH raising effect is not a one time correction. It needs to be done all the time to offset CO2 that is going into or being generated in the water. It does not take less and less as time goes on.

OP
OP
BAMatter

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No, the pH raising effect is not a one time correction. It needs to be done all the time to offset CO2 that is going into or being generated in the water. It does not take less and less as time goes on.
Thanks for clearing that up for me. Lots of conflicting info out there- such as most aspects of this hobby

OP
OP
BAMatter

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Also, if you see this- can I add Strontium directly to my Kalk vessel, or is it better to dose separately?
If strontium CAN be added, should it be done in a manner where it’s added, then add the kalk powder, then mix?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, if you see this- can I add Strontium directly to my Kalk vessel, or is it better to dose separately?
If strontium CAN be added, should it be done in a manner where it’s added, then add the kalk powder, then mix?

Strontium can be put into kalkwasser at low levels. Magnesium cannot.

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I’ve been focusing on the ACI Aquaculture method of dosing kalk to stabilize PH. My local shop introduced it to me after he switched all his service account tanks over with great results.

Great. I've recommended kalkwasser to a few people over the years that have had lower pH issues and they all have reported positive results from this 'old school' method. I've also recommended that they needn't stress out trying to maintain a specific pH number and just verify that their system's pH stays somewhere within the recommended range for a reef aquarium.

OP
OP
BAMatter

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great. I've recommended kalkwasser to a few people over the years that have had lower pH issues and they all have reported positive results from this 'old school' method. I've also recommended that they needn't stress out trying to maintain a specific pH number and just verify that their system's pH stays somewhere within the recommended range for a reef aquarium.
That’s beginning to be my thought process as well. I did just order a CO2
Scrubber to see if I can pick up some slack, and once my alk begins to fall back down, I’ll start to supplement the kalk with 2 part if needed.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back