Moseleya - suddenly looking sick

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had this Moseleya in my tank a couple weeks now and until Wednesday morning it was doing great. Fully inflated through the day, fully opened for feeding through the night on Tuesday.

Then Wednesday afternoon it was heavily deflated and didn’t open in the evening after lights out. This continued through Friday, when I moved it to an area of the tank where my other LPS are doing well - low flow, about 90 par. It’s on the sand now, but was on rock when it deteriorated, putting it on a rock shortly.

LFS I got them from run their LPS at about 70-90 par so I try to mostly match that. It opened a little for feeding in the evening, but not much.

On one side of it there are a number of small white dots, and it’s starting to brown in the same area these are present.

Other LPS are two hammers and an acan. All nicely inflated through the day, torches have good tissue extension down the stems, one has recently split at a surprising growth rate across the split… so those all seem fine.

My initial thought is the original location, (also where a torch, my first LPS, died…) was directly below the return and so was constantly being hit with flow direct from the sump and I’m worried this either resulted in too fast baring parameters or brought down detritus and so on that got into the external tissue and ticked the coral off / infected it.

Any thoughts?

Photos below with blues on and whites only.

IMG_9937.jpeg

IMG_9939.jpeg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Move it. Looks unhappy on the picture side, maybe too much current (based only on your post)

OP
OP
P

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Move it. Looks unhappy on the picture side, maybe too much current (based only on your post)
I moved it already - the picture side previously was more pointed to where the return flow was coming at it in the old location, now located well away from there, with picture side facing front of tank for monitoring.

Much lower flow here, slightly lower par. It’s now near where the other LPS are happy.

/not going to put another LPS where I first had this thing, seems like a cursed spot in the tank…

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like its losing its color, possible reasons for browning are low llight and/or higher nutrients. Although the sand bed looks very clean, is it a new tank?

OP
OP
P

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like its losing its color, possible reasons for browning are low llight and/or higher nutrients. Although the sand bed looks very clean, is it a new tank?
Tank is about 15 months old, has had lights on it for 4-5 months. I had a few algae waves but now have a decent algae eating CUC and resolved my “too low” nutrients that led to some cyano - at this point I can’t seem to get any algae to grow in the tank other than coralline spreading over the rocks because the snails and conches are so efficient at removing it and have started to have to add food for my herbivores (mollies).

Nitrates are around 20, need to check phosphates.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.1%
Back