MoshJosh's Fluval Flex 9 reef conversion.

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As some of you may know, I have been looking to upgrade my PICO tank. I settled on a Fluval Flex 9 for a number of reasons, namely I could buy it from my LFS and it fit the space pretty well (also thank you too all those that put up with my constant posting when I was looking for tank options). . .

Anyway, here she is in all of her murky glory (Curse you Caribsea and your "no rinse" sand!!!)

IMG_1233.jpeg
IMG_1234.jpeg

This tank will primarily be for my LTA and my clownfish, but I will throw in a few "hardy" corals and see how they do. Would like a branching monti on the top of the rockwork if I can keep it from getting stung. I do have a bunch of random frags in there ATM, but that's only cause they were in the PICO and have nowhere else to go ATM.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
IMG_1291.jpeg

IMG_1292.jpeg
IMG_1294.jpeg

Seeing as this is supposed to be my LTA tank I went ahead and added another. . . she is much smaller than her tank mate. . . and the big one seems to be inching closer. . . guess well wee how this goes.
1711216752703.png

Also ordered a bunch of stuff to "finalize" the tank. Ordered a clear frag rack, upgraded wavemaker, and plan on picking up an ATO at TLF soon.

Last edited:

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank as well! What pump are you using? I'm also using customized racks for chamber 1 and 2

OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have the same tank as well! What pump are you using? I'm also using customized racks for chamber 1 and 2
The return pump is the stock pump. I added a Jebao wavemaker and run it on the lowest setting (think the model is SW-4 ?). In the first chamber I blocked the bottom weir with a piece of acrylic held in place by a block of coarse foam cut to the right size. My media sits on top of that foam. Above that is finer foam for mechanical filtration. In the second chamber I have a piece of eggcrate that sits on the shelf that normally holds the stock foam. The eggcrate just stops the chaeto from moving to the third chamber (second chambers is all chaeto/refugium). Third chamber has pump, heater, and overflow.

Last edited:

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The return pump is the stock pump. I added a Jebao wavemaker and run it on the lowest setting (think the model is SW-4 ?). In the first chamber I blocked the bottom weir with a piece of acrylic held in place by a block of coarse foam cut to the right size. My media sits on top of that foam. Above that is finer foam for mechanical filtration. In the second chamber I have a piece of eggcrate that sits on the shelf that normally holds the stock foam. The eggcrate just stops the chaeto from moving to the third chamber (second chambers is all chaeto/refugium). Third chamber has pump, heater, and overflow.
Glad to see someone else with the same tank - it's a bit uncommon to see a 9 gallon - I just started mine up last Sept.

Is this a fishless tank?

OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Glad to see someone else with the same tank - it's a bit uncommon to see a 9 gallon - I just started mine up last Sept.

Is this a fishless tank?
Nah there is a clownfish hiding in that LTA. . . trying to resist the urge to add another. . .

He is easy to miss:

1712544425980.png

Last edited:

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, I see the clown now! :) I debated to get an Anemone, but my concern was that I had already put corals in, and my fear was that it would move around and sting the corals. Did your's move around much before settling?

OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ah, I see the clown now! :) I debated to get an Anemone, but my concern was that I had already put corals in, and my fear was that it would move around and sting the corals. Did your's move around much before settling?
Yeah, the anemone has definitely moved around a bit. The tank is small enough that really any coral could be in danger if it moves or if the current hits it right. I tried to put in mostly hardy corals that might survive a sting or two, namely softies, and I put the stony corals as high as possible in the tank, thinking that would protect them, but when the anemone stretches, they are pretty darn close to getting some.

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, the anemone has definitely moved around a bit. The tank is small enough that really any coral could be in danger if it moves or if the current hits it right. I tried to put in mostly hardy corals that might survive a sting or two, namely softies, and I put the stony corals as high as possible in the tank, thinking that would protect them, but when the anemone stretches, they are pretty darn close to getting some.
If I was going to do it all over again, I'd probably set up a tank with an anemone from the start and once it stops moving around and settles, I'd get coral later. That's my reason to get another tank.

I upgraded the pump yesterday and for $20 on Amazon the flow is so wonderful - night and day, and it's dead silent. I hope it lasts.

OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I may have overcommited on the anemone front. . . I swear they looked a lot smaller when I bought them. . . that said, I do want to see if I can get them to spawn at some point and maybe their close proximity will hep with that. . . anyway gonna need a tank upgrade in the future!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back