0   0   0
I’ve never really had a problem with wrasses just curious if any else has

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the normal, but I had a male lineatus who became a real pita. He would go after my leopard wrasse, and earmuff wrasses. A few times he would get aggressive during feeding time with Bartlett's and Chase them away. Btw I feed twice a day 4 cubes to 12 fish a day, so they had plenty of food. I had to re-home him, super colorful. He would swim at the top of the tank every night around 7pm with all fins fully open. A really cool sight to see.

Attach98661_20181216_143849.png

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Established Mystery and Sixlines have been very aggressive IME.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Christmas Wrasse was not such a nice fella when full grown. He was the larger, meaner of the two species (Halichoeres ornatissimus).

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never really had a problem with wrasses just curious if any else has

Red Head Salon Fairy Wrasse. Was good for a couple of weeks and then snapped and went after everything in the tank. Even did a stare down and chase of my poor Green Mandarinfish I had at the time. That fish literally never bothered ANYTHING. Never seen a Mandarin move that fast and got to see it do a tail slap in the sand as a warning.

This is the actual butthead in question:

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Christmas Wrasse was not such a nice fella when full grown. He was the larger, meaner of the two species (Halichoeres ornatissimus).

Unfortunately that is the problem with common names, as the Ornatissimus is known to be pretty aggressive, but the H.Claudia variety Christmas Wrasse is actually a pretty well behaved fish.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My green coris wrasse I got 4 years ago will not let me add any other wrasses and even from time to time he will have a skirmish with one of my triggers and not back down. He does serve a purpose as all he does through out the day is hunt pods and any unwanted pests so I’ve kept him for those reasons.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My green coris wrasse I got 4 years ago will not let me add any other wrasses and even from time to time he will have a skirmish with one of my triggers and not back down. He does serve a purpose as all he does through out the day is hunt pods and any unwanted pests so I’ve kept him for those reasons.

Yup, they are well known for being aggressive as they mature. Good fit for an aggressive tank though.

Reefer40b

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Christmas wrasse once he got to 6in's he was absolute terror!

Last edited by a moderator:

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Dusky Wrasse (Halichoeres annularis ) turned into a wrasse killer once it got over 4", my green wrasse (Halichoeres chloropterus ) was the same.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C. katoi - I knew I was taking a risk with the complex but I love the species so much. Ultimately had to remove it after a few days - no way was it going to work.

joseph scott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Ornate wrasse is mean, to my yellow wrasse with a silver belly which for the life of me I can’t remember the name of. It always gets chased until it goes under the sand. i will have to catch it next time i see it come out. Ill just put it in my other tank.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 36.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.6%
Back