most likely a stupid newbie skimmer question

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jej34
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Jej34

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 29, 2015
Messages
298
Reaction score
101
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchase a skimmer a week ago. Do I judge whether I'm wet skimming or dry skimming by the frequency of emptying the cup?
My reef octopus 110sss has produced 1.5" of brown skimmate in the cup in the last 3 days.
I'm guessing that's dry?

Not broken in yet too I'm sure.
Just want to make sure I'm doing it right.

Thanks guys.
 
By the color is how I gauge it :)
Light color is wet dark color is dry
 
It is exactly the way it sounds. Not so much all in the color although the darker it is the more likely it is to be dry. But With wet skimming it will be the consistency of water. Dry skimming gets more of a sludge type consistency Sometimes buildup of like a mud around the top of the skimmercup
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 10.0%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 20.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new