Most-likely culprit for Zoa Armageddon?

MyOtherCarIsAFishtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My frag tank is losing zoas fast. Who is the most likely culprit?

I have inspected those suffering and those still healthy and see no nudis, eggs, spiders, or pox. My parameters are all good to great. Those that are afflicted go from okay and open to closed completely overnight, and after that they become almost nothing left similarly fast. Many in the tank are fine and have been for months. Whole colonies (10+) suffer this fate. I suspect something is eating them.

I have a ghost clown, Scopas tang, lawnmower blenny, a few medium blue-leg hermits, a melanarus wrasse, and an ORA aiptasia filefish (but no aiptasia) in this tank. I feed daily. I've never seen any eat coral, but it's a frag tank so I don't watch it all day like my display tanks.

I took the filefish out last night since he is my first suspect.

Who do you accuse?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My frag tank is losing zoas fast. Who is the most likely culprit?

I have inspected those suffering and those still healthy and see no nudis, eggs, spiders, or pox. My parameters are all good to great. Those that are afflicted go from okay and open to closed completely overnight, and after that they become almost nothing left similarly fast. Many in the tank are fine and have been for months. Whole colonies (10+) suffer this fate. I suspect something is eating them.

I have a ghost clown, Scopas tang, lawnmower blenny, a few medium blue-leg hermits, a melanarus wrasse, and an ORA aiptasia filefish (but no aiptasia) in this tank. I feed daily. I've never seen any eat coral, but it's a frag tank so I don't watch it all day like my display tanks.

I took the filefish out last night since he is my first suspect.

Who do you accuse?
Filefish all the way. How can you confirm ?
Set your cell phone on video mode for about 40 mins and walk away - YOU MUST walk away as they know youre there. Come back and review the video and see what file is up to

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back