most personable/intelligent fish for 20 gallon reef

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Damsel! Yellow-tail blue damselfish have lots of personality, and, if added last, could go with another fish or two.

Pygmy geometric hawkfish stay pretty small and are perching fish, but are VERY much not safe with shrimp. Even shrimp their own size may be a target, they're impressive hunters. Small fish may also have an issue.

What do you want to train it to do?

JoshB94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had several people tell me the same thing. How are the personable? Are they interactive with you? Maybe I'll try them when I get a larger tank.
They are very interactive with me. They swim right in front of me and not skittish, they perch in funny places like the cleaner magnet, mine "yawns" a lot. Overall they quickly became one of our favorites and a smaller one could still manage a 20 gallon compared to many other fish as they are pretty sedentary. No experience with other hawks but I'd assume similar

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely say a cherub angel. Mine rests in my hand like a betta fish if I let it. Always swims up to me, intentionally photobombs my frag pics, and exhibits play behavior with my clowns. Definitely my favorite fish! Evidence of photobombing:
95EDAE22-33CE-47C9-A0A1-1D7155908A1A.jpeg

OP
OP
fishkeepinginasia

fishkeepinginasia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats
Damsel! Yellow-tail blue damselfish have lots of personality, and, if added last, could go with another fish or two.

Pygmy geometric hawkfish stay pretty small and are perching fish, but are VERY much not safe with shrimp. Even shrimp their own size may be a target, they're impressive hunters. Small fish may also have an issue.

What do you want to train it to do?
That's not a bad idea. I need something really motivated by food. I once had a domino damsel and I'd really enjoy another. I want to train it to do basic stuff, you know, like to get me beers out of the fridge haha Really just things like swimming through hoops and stuff, but I wanna command train it. I am going to try and deliever commands with a kalimba and condition it to do a different trick with each note. No idea if it'll work but I think it'll be fun to try.

OP
OP
fishkeepinginasia

fishkeepinginasia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely say a cherub angel. Mine rests in my hand like a betta fish if I let it. Always swims up to me, intentionally photobombs my frag pics, and exhibits play behavior with my clowns. Definitely my favorite fish! Evidence of photobombing:
95EDAE22-33CE-47C9-A0A1-1D7155908A1A.jpeg
That's exactly the sort of fish behavior I think I could work with. Thanks!

OP
OP
fishkeepinginasia

fishkeepinginasia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tha
They are very interactive with me. They swim right in front of me and not skittish, they perch in funny places like the cleaner magnet, mine "yawns" a lot. Overall they quickly became one of our favorites and a smaller one could still manage a 20 gallon compared to many other fish as they are pretty sedentary. No experience with other hawks but I'd assume similar
Haha they sound like the want attention almost. I for sure want to give this fish a try, I'm gonna give it some thought.

Krixic

A Tad Obsessed
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my midas blenny! He does some really goofy stuff and pokes my hand when I feed. He loves to hide and poke his little head out of holes in rockwork

Daniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 or 6-line wrasse have been one of my favorite!! The cherub angel is also a great suggestion!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 66 32.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back