Mostly invert tank not eating algae?

Powahfull

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
32 gal biocube.

I was wondering I have 2 clowns I'm pretty sure I over feed the more I think about it. Is it possible the hermits and just eating the left over pellet and frozen shrimp I give the 2 clown fish everyday is that why they are slacking on the algae eating?

When I first started it was 6 hermits and 6 cerith snails I'm not worried about the money part I'm more worried about buying more snails just to have the hermits kill them again.

Everytime I go to a fish store as of lately if I see a hermit with different legs than what I have I get them I think I'm up to 9 hermits now 4 different types but it's hard to tell I got a bunch of empty shells and they are always swapping shells. Today it appears to have been a shell swap? Two hermits in opposite shells you can easily tell by the color of the legs.

A second thought occured to me maybe I have too many empty shells and they are spending most of their time changing and claiming shells that they can't be bothered with eating algae?

If I buy SMALL snails will the hermits kill for fun? My algae problem is slowly getting out of hand!

Living Reef Orlando

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
So, in our experience, you need a diverse clean-up crew. Hermits are good at grazing down a small amount of algae, but typically stop that when the algae gets too long. I recommend trying to scrub down any algae and removing it manually so that the hermits can do their thing. As well as diversifying your CUC; get some astrea snails as well!

Good luck fellow reefer!

I Love You Kiss GIF by Voile Banque Populaire

OP
OP
P

Powahfull

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks yeah I was thinking hard on new snails just feel bad if the hermits just kill them all off again.

ru4serious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally not a fan of hermit crabs , they kill snails and pick at certain corals , I do have 2 left in my 120 gallon, but there will never be more,

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
32 gal biocube.

I was wondering I have 2 clowns I'm pretty sure I over feed the more I think about it. Is it possible the hermits and just eating the left over pellet and frozen shrimp I give the 2 clown fish everyday is that why they are slacking on the algae eating?

When I first started it was 6 hermits and 6 cerith snails I'm not worried about the money part I'm more worried about buying more snails just to have the hermits kill them again.

Everytime I go to a fish store as of lately if I see a hermit with different legs than what I have I get them I think I'm up to 9 hermits now 4 different types but it's hard to tell I got a bunch of empty shells and they are always swapping shells. Today it appears to have been a shell swap? Two hermits in opposite shells you can easily tell by the color of the legs.

A second thought occured to me maybe I have too many empty shells and they are spending most of their time changing and claiming shells that they can't be bothered with eating algae?

If I buy SMALL snails will the hermits kill for fun? My algae problem is slowly getting out of hand!
They won't and no, they won't just swap shells all day. They may be just eating the scraps all day.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 141 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back