0   0   0
I took some night time shots last night
20Cube 16Jan21 (2).jpg

20Cube 16Jan21 (4).jpg

20Cube 16Jan21 (7).jpg

20Cube 16Jan21 (8).jpg

This candy cane always hungry..
20Cube 16Jan21 (10).jpg

I thought this one came out pretty cool.
20Cube 16Jan21 (9).jpg

OP
OP
LagunaGlide

LagunaGlide

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water change day today, and so I did some tests as it's been a few weeks. Alkalinity is a little high, but I am starting to think this test isn't great. Everything looks so happy. I did some moving of some corals while doing the water change. Some corals got glued down, and I decided I wanted an Acan garden on the ledge rock. How about another Picture dump?

Frontal full tank. Not mastered these yet.
20Cube 17Jan21.jpg

I think these corner shots are the ticket, but need figure out how to get them in focus.
20Cube 17Jan21 (1).jpg

20Cube 17Jan21 (2).jpg

The acan ledge. Lots of room for growout.
20Cube 17Jan21 (8).jpg

20Cube 17Jan21 (5).jpg

I've not been able to make this little Blasto happy in so long I forgot what it really looked like opened up. Excited to see how it goes in here.
20Cube 17Jan21 (6).jpg

Had feelers out since going in this tank.
20Cube 17Jan21 (4).jpg

While I broke this when removing it from the other tank it has already healed over.
20Cube 17Jan21 (7).jpg

Fill disclosure I really played with the sliders on my phone for this pic, BUT it's a pretty accurate look with the eyes. I can't wait for this one to grow. I have struggled to make it happy, but I think this is the spot.
20Cube 17Jan21 (3).jpg

I have to say I am impressed with his little setup daily. I added a diffuser from 3dReefing on Amazon, and it really has done an a great job of getting just that right shimmer. Light is still running through acclimation mode, and I think I am going to adjust to keep the Acan garden happy. Everything else should fall into place around that fairly easily. Hopefully anyhow.

OP
OP
LagunaGlide

LagunaGlide

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not much of an update today. Did the full range of tests yesterday and all were in range. Corals are definitely using some cal and Mag. The only parameter that is out of range is my Alk. Everything looks happy and is growing, so I am not going to bother it.

I have been dialing in my lights and flow while fighting off the ugly brown diatoms. The blenny never stops eating. Which is great that it works on the algae, but it also never stops pooping. I have been struggling to get the flow in the right places to get the waste up and out, but it's just not working. I run a high flow period at night, but it's not doing enough, and is now causing salt creep around the rim of the tank, so I'll be moving the powerhead again today with my water change.

Thoughts on power head placement and aim welcome. The corals don't seem to mind anything I have done, thus far.

Also thinking of ditching the sponge in the middle chamber as I doubt it's really doing much with me using the filter sock lightly stuffed with fiber fill.

Are you other WB owners using the sponge in the middle?

Matt Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tanks looking good. I'm still adjusting my powerhead placement to deal with sand blowing around so can't help there.

I am still using but plan on ditching when my tanks mature enough to make it a fuge with chaeto.

Willis19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been awhile since I last updated, and a decent amount of things have happened. Finally got the Nero3, and so, the light is set up as well. I wasn't initially pleased with the app for the AI equipment, but once I figured out a few silly things I got the light set up using what bulk reef supply suggested as the optimum settings for a tank of this size and this light, and combined it with the up and down patterns of the Signature series Saxby settings. Pretty pleased with the light, and while it took some time, dialing a very specific light schedule is easy enough.

I got the Nero3 in, and I have been running at Random 1-8% as it's moving no less than 600gph with these settings, but not over 800. Initially I thought this little pump was going to be overkill, but I think I can turn it up a bit as it seems the "cone" is smaller than I expected.

Today I started testing for how much flow to push to do a nightly flush, and I am unsure if I should use a pulse mode or just a higher percent overall, but I did a pulse of 2 on 1 off at 75% for ten minutes, and it certainly stirred it all up. Thoughts appreciated if you have any.

On to the goods..... I got a new frag rack and the first few corals have hit the tank. Frag rack fits perfectly on the one side of the tank.
20Cube (10 Jan 21) (6).jpg

This candy cane was doing pretty well in the frag tank. It had a big clump of that white JBweld stuff people use, and I wanted to break some off, and this broke in half. Clean break no flesh showing, so I put half on the rack.
20Cube (10 Jan 21) (7).jpg

I also put the brain in.
20Cube (10 Jan 21) (3).jpg

I picked up a set or orphek lenses for my phone. I saw some pics from someone and they were so good I had to ask what they were using. All the pics in this post were the first time of me using them. Exited to improve with it.

The new Nero3 and the blenny on the watch.
20Cube (10 Jan 21) (4).jpg

I played with the settings on this one a bit.
20Cube (10 Jan 21) (2).jpg

20Cube (10 Jan 21) (1).jpg
Nice reef ! I'm running the same tank and I love it. I just didnt like the origina pump, also replaced it with a DC Jebao pump, much better. When you said the BRS recommendations for lights, are refereeing to UV 119, V 116, RY 79, B 80, G/DR 4, CW 19%?

OP
OP
LagunaGlide

LagunaGlide

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice reef ! I'm running the same tank and I love it. I just didnt like the origina pump, also replaced it with a DC Jebao pump, much better. When you said the BRS recommendations for lights, are refereeing to UV 119, V 116, RY 79, B 80, G/DR 4, CW 19%?
Yes those were the numbers I was referring to. They have changed a bit since then, and I also used the idea of slight dips throughout the day while slowly getting lower.

OP
OP
LagunaGlide

LagunaGlide

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well not much of an update, and I haven't really had the time, or inclination to update lately. This little tank has been on some serious struggles lately. Parameters are all staying fairly stable, and in range, but I have lost some corals and some of them very quickly. I have been trying to dial in the lights and the flow, but nothing I do seems to get things in order. Corals that at one point were doing very well, and even growing and showing colors I had never seen them show have now started to deteriorate, and one died in two days. Going to post in another section and look around at some successful 20 cubes and see what I can do.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 124 59.0%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.5%
Back