Mount your RODI system outside! 2 Part video on how!

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my reading just now post membrane and pre DI
It has been at 5-6 ppm since installed and holding.
99C2385B-4721-4336-BA0E-E3115169F2C6.jpeg

OP
OP
Clueless_Reefer

Clueless_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@flyfisher2 I appreciate your response and that definitely seems like a reasonable response. All things considered, are you seeing a drop out in your TDS quality as being the factor that indicates the Membrane(s) going bad? In my situation I'm running dual 100gpd Dow membranes with 2 DI chambers on the back end. Additionally, there is the morning light which hits that area of the house where my RODI cabinet is, the rest of the day it just has ambient light.

Another thought - how often does your RO discharge into your output area? In my case, with it being a direct solenoid feed into my sump without a holding chamber - I have roughly 25-30 RODI discharges per day (from what I remember), with each discharge running for 3-6 minutes at a time. All things considered, the water actually in my RODI chamber is relatively new and one could say is "self-cooling" the RODI apparatus - whereby the external casing may get hit by heat but the internals are staying at a different ambient temperature.

Maybe this would be worth testing moving forward - what is the average ambient temperature of the water in your RODI system (and thus, your membranes).

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@flyfisher2 I appreciate your response and that definitely seems like a reasonable response. All things considered, are you seeing a drop out in your TDS quality as being the factor that indicates the Membrane(s) going bad? In my situation I'm running dual 100gpd Dow membranes with 2 DI chambers on the back end. Additionally, there is the morning light which hits that area of the house where my RODI cabinet is, the rest of the day it just has ambient light.

Another thought - how often does your RO discharge into your output area? In my case, with it being a direct solenoid feed into my sump without a holding chamber - I have roughly 25-30 RODI discharges per day (from what I remember), with each discharge running for 3-6 minutes at a time. All things considered, the water actually in my RODI chamber is relatively new and one could say is "self-cooling" the RODI apparatus - whereby the external casing may get hit by heat but the internals are staying at a different ambient temperature.

Maybe this would be worth testing moving forward - what is the average ambient temperature of the water in your RODI system (and thus, your membranes).
I was seeing TDS increase post membrane. Not anymore. I'm not on an automated system so unit does not discharge unless I physically turn it on. Details of temperature are in my thread. This is now a non issue for me since I brought the unit indoors and it it maintained at a controlled temp.

OP
OP
Clueless_Reefer

Clueless_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was seeing TDS increase post membrane. Not anymore. I'm not on an automated system so unit does not discharge unless I physically turn it on. Details of temperature are in my thread. This is now a non issue for me since I brought the unit indoors and it it maintained at a controlled temp.
Understood. So maybe for @leeatmg maybe you should consider implementing a temperature probe if possible some how into the RODI. You'd need to look up some options for how to mount a temp probe into the line but it may end up saving you money in the long run.

I will say that the marine industry-grade membranes and equipment are supposed to last for years of usage. Buying something from Watermakers wouldn't be cheap though lol https://www.watermakers.com/ They're one of the biggest names in it down here, so much they have their own airplane company to run equipment down to the islands every day.

Bent17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you storing your water inside or outside? I was going to place my RODI outside but I think I will try find some place inside to save the risk.. From my end my water needs to be stored outside in the terrace as I do not have any basement and very limited in space. I was told that soring water outside with the heat could cause a cycle in the water spiking tds up?

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like being able to do that. In the past I've had the canisters.crack to the freezing Temps. Thought about getting some of the non see through ones thinking maybe they would suffice but bringing it in just saves me the $ and time and trial and possible error. Lol.
I have one of the sheds and tried this in the past.
D

Back