Mounting AI Prime

drmdvl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question for current Prime 16HD owners... I have a thick acrylic top on my tank - can the AI prime sit directly on the top or will it be too hot? I am not sure a mounting arm will fit under my hood.

Thanks!

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question for current Prime 16HD owners... I have a thick acrylic top on my tank - can the AI prime sit directly on the top or will it be too hot? I am not sure a mounting arm will fit under my hood.

Thanks!
Too hot, and I dot think you'll get full spectrum thru acrylic

OP
OP
drmdvl

drmdvl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome... Thanks all for the responses!

Rjmul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks!
No. Few weeks ago I upgraded tanks. I put my hydra 32 on the plastic rim of the old tank and ran across the street to my shop to use some tools. When I came back I smelled burning plastic. It melted it. My wife was in the bedroom none the wiser......

Plus your spread will be booty

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
No. Few weeks ago I upgraded tanks. I put my hydra 32 on the plastic rim of the old tank and ran across the street to my shop to use some tools. When I came back I smelled burning plastic. It melted it. My wife was in the bedroom none the wiser......

Plus your spread will be booty
I upgraded from a 16HD to a 32HD. I find the 32HD to run a lot cooler and quieter. So lights on acrylic might not be a great idea.

Jib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will be too hot. When I first got mine, I was messing with the setting and had it laying on my bed (not face down, but on its side facing away from me). It burned holes in my comforter. Oops. 50W LEDs are pretty hot...

Funston07

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 2 of the 16s and I definitely would not recommend this. I burned the crap out of my finger when I touched the lens one day. I have an acrylic lid and it was mounted about 10" above water level, moved it down to 7" above water level for a better par readings in areas I needed and one side of the acrylic is slightly warped. Its not bad but even being 7" above it still obviously gets pretty warm.

megan0900

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 2 of the 16s and I definitely would not recommend this. I burned the crap out of my finger when I touched the lens one day. I have an acrylic lid and it was mounted about 10" above water level, moved it down to 7" above water level for a better par readings in areas I needed and one side of the acrylic is slightly warped. Its not bad but even being 7" above it still obviously gets pretty warm.
Good thing it's could still get pretty warm..

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back