Mounting coral without superglue?

burningmime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm allergic to Cyanoacrylate and go into anaphylactic shock or whatever at the smell of it. I bought Tunze Coral gum which just cost me $75 in frags (and possibly a $300 yellow hammer we'll see if it recovers) and doesn't seem to work at all. And all my rocks came tumbling down yay. So I'm a bit frustrated right now if you can't tell.

Anyone have any recomendations? Do I just keep trying with the tunze gum? I guess next time I will try taking the whole rock out and putting it back, but that's going to basically require that all my rocks are easily stackable and I can't do any interesting aquascape. Any other suggestions? Is there an epoxy that works better than this?

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did the gum destroy your corals?
I hear ya though, I hate gluing frags underwater, I suck at it apparently. I’ve had some success using 2 part epoxy.
wish I had the answer.
On my next tank I’m going to do the @coraleuphoria method of drilling holes and attaching the plugs that way.

OP
OP
B

burningmime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did the gum destroy your corals?
Well, technically I destroyed the corals by dropping rocks on them because the gum didn't stick. But I take my anger out on the gum. It's sitting there looking all purple and smug all over my rocks with nothing attached to it and my carefully built cave with an overhang is now a pile. Mighta crushed a fish or two too.
I hear ya though, I hate gluing frags underwater, I suck at it apparently. I’ve had some success using 2 part epoxy.
wish I had the answer.
Which epoxy?

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, technically I destroyed the corals by dropping rocks on them because the gum didn't stick. But I take my anger out on the gum. It's sitting there looking all purple and smug all over my rocks with nothing attached to it and my carefully built cave with an overhang is now a pile. Mighta crushed a fish or two too.

Which epoxy?
Ah geez! Ok I understand your frustration.
I’ve had some success gluing coral during a big water change when some rocks are exposed.
Can’t remember the name of it but it’s just the standard epoxy everyone sells.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Problem with epoxy is, works best on dry surface. It won't work much different than tunze gum. Not being able to use super glue is a huge issue, you'd have to mold a bit of epoxy on the frag and rock. Hold in place and hope it sticks. I used 2 little fishes.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There may be other options for you, I use JB Waterweld with superglue myself, but consider Bond by Aquavitro/Seachem. It's low melt plastic. They sell generic cheaper low melt plastic too, I assume it's the same stuff but not really sure.

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you are willing to restart on the aquascape (no pics on your build thread :( ) and substitute the rock out for something else you can create a scape that is only restricted to your imagination and it will allow you to have holes for plugs everywhere. look at the first few pages of my build. if it's of interest to you, message me for more info.

OP
OP
B

burningmime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you are willing to restart on the aquascape (no pics on your build thread :( ) and substitute the rock out for something else you can create a scape that is only restricted to your imagination and it will allow you to have holes for plugs everywhere. look at the first few pages of my build. if it's of interest to you, message me for more info.
My tank is in a very ugly phase, so I'm a bit embarassed to update the build tread ;-P Will add something when I get more.

That aquascape putty looks kidna awesome; maybe I will look into it next weekend. I'm not against redoing my aquascape, there's just a couple badly-mounted corals that haven't grown onto anything yet. I don't know how destabilizing for the cycle it would be to replace the rock now though... Maybe I could just toss it in the sump and call it good.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get someone to do it for you ( partner if have one or a friend,or neighbour,or wear some kind mask maybe?
Sorry hear things arent going smoothly for you.but stick in there and keep on keeping on and things will always fall into place if keep trying or ask for help ^_^

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Instant Ocean HoldFast epoxy. I've also used Water Weld. I have had no luck with super glue by itself. It won't stick and is brittle.

Once I get the coral in place, I take something sharp, usually a wood skewer stick, and poke holes in the exposed epoxy. Makes it look like a sponge growing around the base of the coral instead of a blob of epoxy.

lynaea75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
B

burningmime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get someone to do it for you ( partner if have one or a friend,or neighbour,or wear some kind mask maybe?
Sorry hear things arent going smoothly for you.but stick in there and keep on keeping on and things will always fall into place if keep trying or ask for help ^_^
That's probably the way to go in the end, but right now this tank is my baby.

ggNoRe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This isn't a game changer but I find with gluing frags every little bit helps... Make sure to turn all flow/pumps off. Also don't overlook wedging frags in places where they can stay without any glue or epoxy but rather just naturally.

OP
OP
B

burningmime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all. I was a bit emotional yesterday after spending an hour and losing a couple frags and my whole aquascape. But I will try some of these options. The review for the Maxspect stuff makes it seem like Ambrosia, so hopefully it lives up.

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can vouch for the aquavitro bond beads. I’ve used them a couple times and they are still holding strong; I’ve got over a year on them. Putting the warmed up bond in the cooler tank water accelerated the hardening, you will have to work quick if you bond them directly to rock in your tank. Hope this helps.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 173 67.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back