Mounting lights on tank edge

  • Thread starter Thread starter lmfbs
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

lmfbs

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 9, 2022
Messages
323
Reaction score
245
Location
New Zealand
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've just bought 2x vipraspectras for my 4ft tank (may add a third once I see what these look like set up), and now I'm considering mounting solutions.

They come with hanging kits, and while I'd love to ceiling mount them, we have 5m high ceilings in this place, and that combined with earthquakes makes me a bit nervous.

I could mount a shelf or brackets to the wall and hang them off that, but they'll have to come out quite a way to get far enough over the tank - but maybe I could do that with some sort of solution that allows me to raise and lower them easily?

I'm not sold on mounting solutions that are mounted to each end of the tank - it seems like it'd make tank maintainence more annoying, and is it risky for the glass?

The ones mounted to the back edge feel like you're asking for a tank leak.

What's your preferred solution and why?
 
Depends on tank glass thickness, but many people mount it right on the glass without issue. I currently have it that way on my 6' and had it that way on my 4'. Here's a couple of pics of each.

6'
IMG_8246.JPG

IMG_8228.JPEG

4'
IMG_7389.JPEG

IMG_7420.JPEG
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 16 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 15 46.9%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 25.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new