Mounting Radion Gen5 XR15s in canopy

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am working on a new build. It's an acrylic tank measuring 36Lx24Dx18H (kind of a lagoon tank). I have two Radion G5 XR15s for the tank and the canopy is a 10" high wooden canopy with a piano hinge (the hinge is 10" back from the front) for ease of maintenance. I need to figure out how to mount the lights. I can't use anything that attaches to the tank since it's acrylic and the canopy will sit on it anyway. Due to the location of the hinge though, my lights will be set back a little farther than I'd like. I think it'll be OK - I'll have the rockwork more in the back of the tank anyway. I did up a quick diagram of what I'm thinking. Thoughts on this? Also ideas on how to mount the lights? I have to measure the inside height from the canopy to the top of the tank still. My current thought is that I'll get some standoffs and long screws and just screw into the fixtures directly through the canopy. I don't love the idea of screwing through the canopy though so other ideas are welcome (would love to screw into the canopy from the inside instead, and debated getting the RMS slide mounts and drilling a hole through the top to do that but not sure it would work). The green is the tank opening and the black is the overflow. The purple are the proposed lights.

1633363894979.png

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get aluminum rod and then cut the M5 threads on the end that you need. If you can get 3/16" rod that will work best.

I use this method to mount mine into T-Nuts for T-Slot.

OP
OP
hllb

hllb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I ordered some t-channel from Home Depot (anondized aluminum) that I think may work well. I measured the distance in my canopy, and I think it'll work out pretty well distance wise for the lights.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back