Mounting Torch Sideways?

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 13, 2020
Messages
1,838
Reaction score
2,085
Location
Los Angeles
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my torch was knocked over a couple days ago, and I kinda just let it sit since I'm going to be adding some new frags soon anyways.

(I Blame this guy, that's a normal size frag plug not a small frag.)

IMG_2487.PNG

Torch doesn't seem to be hating it. And I don't either? Really never thought about it before. I mean who mounts a torch sideways??? right?

IMG_2483.jpeg


When I re-glue him could I keep him sideways? Anyone have experience on this?

I guess I just never thought of it.

While you're here what about at a 190 (or 350) if the polyps could have the space and still totally extend?

Would it add pressure unnaturally somewhere that would cause tissue damage?
 
I think it’s fine surely some torches are not straight and are doing fine . I have a sideways Duncan that couldn’t care less lol growing new heads from the side as well
 
Here is kinda a pic where you can see the Duncan, it was very unhappy for 2 weeks being there but adjusted, the bottom head grew biggest in order to get light
 

Attachments

  • EE6EB952-3D29-4407-8BAF-486F5A4C7C90.jpeg
    EE6EB952-3D29-4407-8BAF-486F5A4C7C90.jpeg
    298.8 KB · Views: 315
I am no expert when it comes to torches. They are probably similar to hammers, and often times I have a bud growing in sideways. What happens is, the bud will grow toward the light as best as possible. So, the cone looks weird as it is growing.
How does this apply to the torch? Since the torch is sideways, it may try to correct that on its own, and grow weird looking. If the mouth of the torch doesn't receive enough light, this could cause it to starve. Just some things to think about.
 
keep the torch straight better, but they will be ok on the sideway if the water flow lighting is good, as dvgy said new baby heads will grow out from the side way as well,it happens to my frogspawn frag b4.
 
Yeah,

I kinda like the “weird sideways” look.
And think new heads growing on the side would be cool.

gonna give it a shot let’s see what happens!

Thanks all!

I’ve got 2 Hydra 32’s mounted over the tank it’s only a 45 so plenty of light everywhere.
 
How did this work out? Considering the same thing.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new