Mouth Rot in Clownfish?

DJTJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clownfish of 10 years is having a serious mouth infection/rot and I don’t know what to do. I had dosed ruby reef in the tank for four days but nothing seems to have changed. I plan on using an external 2.5 gallon tank just for kanaplex, but would this be an effective method at slowing the slough?

363A6A06-CE3E-4A04-AA8F-96552B3D0A62.jpeg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I'm not too sure what going on here.

*Congrats on winning the giveaway tho that brought me here lol*

Pic is blurry but it seems like it may be some sort of tumor?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clownfish of 10 years is having a serious mouth infection/rot and I don’t know what to do. I had dosed ruby reef in the tank for four days but nothing seems to have changed. I plan on using an external 2.5 gallon tank just for kanaplex, but would this be an effective method at slowing the slough?

363A6A06-CE3E-4A04-AA8F-96552B3D0A62.jpeg
How long has this been there? If it developed slowly, over weeks, then it is a tumor. If it showed up in less than a week or so, it is more likely bacterial/fungal, Trouble is that the location may cause the clown to not feed properly. If you can manage the ammonia level in the 2.5, then yes, that would be the course I would take.

Jay

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has this been there? If it developed slowly, over weeks, then it is a tumor. If it showed up in less than a week or so, it is more likely bacterial/fungal, Trouble is that the location may cause the clown to not feed properly. If you can manage the ammonia level in the 2.5, then yes, that would be the course I would take.

Jay
@Jay Hemdal how would one treat a tumor on a fish?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal how would one treat a tumor on a fish?
Sorry, there is no treatment for tumors in fish, just supportive care or eventually euthanasia. If it is an infection from bacteria, it may be able to be treated with antibiotics.
Jay

OP
OP
DJTJ

DJTJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:
After a long, hard battle and treatment with kanaplex, my baby did not make it :( Even though he was eating flake food, I believe the infection overwhelmed him and caused him to pass during treatment. Thank you all for the help and advice, it really made me feel as if I was not fighting this battle alone. 2020 was full of bad luck, but hopefully 2021 can turn it around!

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:
After a long, hard battle and treatment with kanaplex, my baby did not make it :( Even though he was eating flake food, I believe the infection overwhelmed him and caused him to pass during treatment. Thank you all for the help and advice, it really made me feel as if I was not fighting this battle alone. 2020 was full of bad luck, but hopefully 2021 can turn it around!
Sorry to hear that, losing fish is hard. Best of luck to you, have fun with the new tank, which will make things much better dw

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back