Move Hippo Tang

seastar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all. I recently added a few sunburst anthias to my DT (525xl Reefer) and my hippo tang has decided it would be great port to harass them and rip their fins off. I've decided rather than remove them I'd rather toss the Hippo in the penalty box. Any ideas how to get it out? Every time I go after it it wedges itself in a rock that would require me completely ripping apart my cemented rock structure.

Thoughts?

USMC 4 LIFE

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to remove the rock mine wedged himself in to take him out once.

I'm about to add a fathead sunburst anthia to my tank which has a blue tang. Did you use a social acclimation box when you introduced him to your DT or did you just add him in? Thanks.

OP
OP
seastar

seastar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hand was a little forced, as I didn't have a social acclimation box (I'll order one now). The Sunburst were in the last few days on QT and I ended up needed that tank for a fox face which I think had worms. As to not cross contaminate them I added them to the DT to free up that tank to treat the fox face. The Hippo was a model citizen until now.

I think Im going to try to get a fish trap as well for the Hippo as it's a greedy little pig for Nori and I'm hoping that might work.

USMC 4 LIFE

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I'm just trying to get as much of a heads up on adding them to alleviate as much aggression or tearing my tank apart to separate the two.

OP
OP
seastar

seastar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a fish trap is your best bit. I had to remove all my rock work when mine out grew my tank.
Awesome! I have one on the way now and am pretty pumped to get that rolling. I can see it chasing other fish now too which is a total shame, this was a model citizen before the weekend. My yellow tang used to chase him off but seems to have lost interest in that policing role.

Desmond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! I have one on the way now and am pretty pumped to get that rolling. I can see it chasing other fish now too which is a total shame, this was a model citizen before the weekend. My yellow tang used to chase him off but seems to have lost interest in that policing role.
I have a little tiny 1 in my cube for the mrs but does not bother anything i will get another 18 months then fish trap time unless my plan works and i get another upgrade lol

roostertech

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following.

I might need to remove a blue tang out of my 525xl and it has dug a cave under the rock structure. I tried to put in a fish trap but every other fish has ventured in but the blue tang.

OP
OP
seastar

seastar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following.

I might need to remove a blue tang out of my 525xl and it has dug a cave under the rock structure. I tried to put in a fish trap but every other fish has ventured in but the blue tang.
I've been doing a little research since I started this thread and heard the trick is that you only feed into there and don't expect it to happen on day one and eventually hunger will end up winning the battle as far as fish traps are concerned.

OP
OP
seastar

seastar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it took about 3 days for the accumulation box to arrive so I wasn't able to attempt to get the hippo tang out for at least that long. In that time one of the anthias passed because it was too torn up to save.

In those three days the fish seemed to workout the new pecking order and everyone seems to be getting along just fine now. It's going to stay in unless I start to see more signs of aggression, but like I said everyone seems really happy at the moment.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back