Moving a 75 gallon tank

Llorgon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be moving at the end of September/beginning of October. I'm trying to figure out what exactly to do with my reef tank.

I'm new to reefing and only been doing this for just a year. In that time I have had a powerhead malfunction and melt in the tank killing everything, return pump die while on vacation, ato break and had to wait 2 months for replacement, dinos and now from beating dinos tons of gha. Needless to say it's been a fun year and all I have to show for it is a few frags and 4 fish.

Our new place is going to be 5 hours away on winding mountain highway. I'm debating if I should sell it all and restart or get a smaller tank, set it up earlier then move fish and coral and I have a tank ready to go at the new place. Then I can take my time to setup the 75 gallon again.

If I go with the second tank, can I buy drydock and start curring it now and have live rock by October when I move?

Is it better to put all fish in one bucket or separate them into individual containers for the move?

Current sad tank shot below.
768751b65fc9244af847f681f991c073.jpg

Old Fritz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I did a 7 hour move. Anyways I kept all my rocks and stuff, just kept it wet in a 5 gallon bucket, and then the fish I also kept in a five gallon bucket with an air stone that's powered by batteries. If you want to make moving easier you can toss most of your rocks and get new ones where you move to and just keep a few of your old rocks to help cycle your tank. On shorter moves you could move the sand as well but it weighs a freaking lot when wet so I don't recommend it lol. The corals I would keep separate from the fish.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 51 40.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 27.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back