Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 all that.

How long was the tank up? Is the rock you kept alive nice live rock covered in coralline? If so then I would keep the coralline alive with a cheapo light.

Right around two months. Just started growing green algae. I only had one rock with coralline, and that piece is in with my separated eel, which has a light.

Well.... you only really need 1 live rock to start a tank. This will quickly do the job. I'm now at the point where it only takes 3 days to cycle a new tank but too many members here will totally freak out if they heard how I do it. Due to a number of circumstances I've made 3 tank changes in the last 6 months...the last today becuz the the 45 yr old tank I found under the garage (an AGA now called Aqueon) sprung a nasty leak after 3 months in service (Why?). Today was no sweat as I saved the water and just replaced wastage. Also reused all rock and sand...after placing it in a bucket and decanting of the dirty water. All times had 100% survival including new corals although some took a long time adjusting to their new setting/siteing. Each time I'm always disatisfied with my aquascaping as it is never like it was before but wait....happens each time...means I actually liked the new scape...just needed to get used to it. (and let the engineer gobies do their thing!) Moving into a new same sized tank is like planting a garden...there's never enough soil/water left to fill the hole!. PLEASE NOTE: It may take only 3 days to fully cycle a new tank but it still takes 6 months to a year for the tank to MATURE! I know of no way to speed that up.

Thank you, that's a huge help. I'll just have to monitor the ammonia levels until it gets back up to speed, but with how much live rock I can store, 13lbs per fish seems like it should be okay.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is helpful because it is your job but x 300 reefs, you can see pre and post patterns here to make sound predictions about your upcoming job. every job is a total skip cycle, instant, without any delay.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 68 32.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back