Moving and need advice

Undertaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my wife and I are planning on moving in March, and I am really concerned with the idea of moving my tank. I live in Tennessee so the weather in March isn't really cold. but, could be in the sixties. We will be moving roughly 30 to 45 minutes away from the home we live in no. my tank is a Red Sea reefer 350 with mostly LPS and ZOAS and a couple beginner SPS "Monti cap, sponges". can anyone with experience moving their tanks give me advice on how to do this properly?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have sand, it’s the greatest liability to prep and handle during the move. We have a thirty page thread on how to move without loss where sandbeds are concerned, are you using a DSB in the display tank
(the rationale is with no sand, you just bucket /bubbler/ heater and move. With sand, you need to see patterns of how we take down and reassemble without killing the entire setup with the waste half rotting in the sand, if applicable)

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently moved my 125 gallon tank 60 miles with no losses. I put all the livestock in big 20 gallon tube with just a little water. Those tubs are very cheap, like $10.00 bucks.
I rented a truck because I didn't see how I could put all this in the moving van.
I got to the new house a few hours before the moving van to set up the tank.

I also took my gravel and as much water as I could get out of my tank before I stirred it up.
That water only filled my new tank half way so I went out to my new house the day before and collected water and heated it up so when I got there, it was warm enough.

I put some floor tiles in the place where the tank would sit. (I finished tiling the floor later)
I filled the tank with all my old stuff and went out to dinner.

Everything was good.

There is a thread about it here as I probably forgot exactly what I did.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 149 60.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 67 27.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 85 34.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 66 26.9%
Back