Moving aquarium questions

WvAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok things happened in my life and I need to move my 120g. I have a plan for moving the tank. As follows in simple steps
1) I plan to setup a 20g to house some of the rock corals and fish. So start the 20g and get temps right. Maybe 10g new water 10g old to help with parameters
2) have as much new saltwater as I can manage to do a large water change. So 60g between 2 brutes. Then transfer the rest of the water from original tank about 40% change.

My question is.. how do I get my snails out of the sand to move tank and rinse sand? I'd rather save as much life as possible. Tanks new so the sands not really bad but if I'm moving everything a rinse won't hurt right lol.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m trying to do the same today actually. Breaking down a 120 and setting up a temporary 60g. I think I’ll scoop the sand out and put it in a brute or 5 gallon buckets. With a few inches of water on top for the snails

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many snails are thought to be in the sand? They should be fine until you start rinsing. I would just take them out as you start to rinse

OP
OP
WvAquatics

WvAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many snails are thought to be in the sand? They should be fine until you start rinsing. I would just take them out as you start to rinse
I have about 5 of each dwarf planaxis and cerith. So pretty much just scoop sand put in a bucket with water and when I go rinse just pick out the ones I can. Easy enough lol I could maybe rinse in new saltwater in tank maybe by mixing it around and let filter sock catch everything not that I think about it then move fish a day later

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not just run hands through sand when almost empty of water and pick them all out?

I have about 5 of each dwarf planaxis and cerith. So pretty much just scoop sand put in a bucket with water and when I go rinse just pick out the ones I can. Easy enough lol I could maybe rinse in new saltwater in tank maybe by mixing it around and let filter sock catch everything not that I think about it then move fish a day later

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you’re already going to be disrupting sand bed to clean it

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back