Moving back to DT after ich treatment

mujimran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moving fishes back to DT.

I had Ich and moved my fish to Hospital tank (20G) for copper treatment and my main DT (75G) will be fallow for 76 days.

Meanwhile I got 3 more fishes and Quarantined them in my QT (40G). I did not use any medication in QT tank except Prazipro. After 30 days of Cu treatment I moved my fishes from HT to QT along with the new fishes. I moved all the inverts (snails, crabs, shrimps) to my QT tank from DT so its easier to maintain a single tank.

Questions:
- I came across the quarantine guidelines recently and I am supposed to Cu treat new fish for 30 days and then Prazipro treat for another 30 days. As I didn’t do this for my new fish and already added all fishes to same tank, should I restart the 60 day recommended process before moving to DT?

- Have live rocks in QT and want to move it to DT (No Cu treatment done while the rocks were in.). Whats the process to move live rock so I do not cross contaminate my DT.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I had Ich and moved my fish to Hospital tank (20G) for copper treatment and my main DT (75G) will be fallow for 76 days.

Meanwhile I got 3 more fishes and Quarantined them in my QT (40G). I did not use any medication in QT tank except Prazipro. After 30 days of Cu treatment I moved my fishes from HT to QT along with the new fishes. I moved all the inverts (snails, crabs, shrimps) to my QT tank from DT so its easier to maintain a single tank.

Questions:
- I came across the quarantine guidelines recently and I am supposed to Cu treat new fish for 30 days and then Prazipro treat for another 30 days. As I didn’t do this for my new fish and already added all fishes to same tank, should I restart the 60 day recommended process before moving to DT?

- Have live rocks in QT and want to move it to DT (No Cu treatment done while the rocks were in.). Whats the process to move live rock so I do not cross contaminate my DT.

My personal opinion is to give all new fish a proper copper quarantine for 30 days. I would give all of the fish in the QT a copper treatment, else the new fish may have brought in uncontrolled ich or velvet. That does expose your fish from the HT to a double copper treatment, but now that they have been moved, I don't see any other solution. Hyposalinity would work for ich, but it doesn't control velvet. You might be able to do without the prazi treatment, since the new fish have already gone through that, and I presume that your original fish don't have flukes.

I'm not sure I understand what you are doing with the inverts - but just ensure they are housed in a fishless system for 76 days.

Is this the quarantine process you mentioned?

Jay

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Questions:

I dont understand a bit, can you rephrase?

Cu (Cupramine?)

timeline (i think?)

Fish infected - put into hospital for treatment - New fish in QT with Parazi - moved all fish into QT (1)- then took all inverts and put them into QT (2) - at the same time you moved liverock into the QT from the DT?

Its not good to treat fish too long or have too many meds in the water, the Cupramine will kill the inverts but you need use something to treat the new fish

You shouldn't put the liverock into the QT tank if there are unsure fish, where is it now?

(1) (why? keep them separate your new fish need to QT and both probably need copper treatment, also is that tanks biofilter up to that?)

(2) (why? you still need to maintain DT even if you dont have corals, your bac will die)

OP
OP
M

mujimran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My personal opinion is to give all new fish a proper copper quarantine for 30 days. I would give all of the fish in the QT a copper treatment, else the new fish may have brought in uncontrolled ich or velvet. That does expose your fish from the HT to a double copper treatment, but now that they have been moved, I don't see any other solution. Hyposalinity would work for ich, but it doesn't control velvet. You might be able to do without the prazi treatment, since the new fish have already gone through that, and I presume that your original fish don't have flukes.

I'm not sure I understand what you are doing with the inverts - but just ensure they are housed in a fishless system for 76 days.

Is this the quarantine process you mentioned?

Jay
Yes, thats the quarantine process I am referring to.

The inverts were moved from DT to QT

Yeah looks like I will have to do the Copper (Cu) treatment again.

OP
OP
M

mujimran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont understand a bit, can you rephrase?

Cu (Cupramine?)

timeline (i think?)

Fish infected - put into hospital for treatment - New fish in QT with Parazi - moved all fish into QT (1)- then took all inverts and put them into QT (2) - at the same time you moved liverock into the QT from the DT?

Its not good to treat fish too long or have too many meds in the water, the Cupramine will kill the inverts but you need use something to treat the new fish

You shouldn't put the liverock into the QT tank if there are unsure fish, where is it now?

(1) (why? keep them separate your new fish need to QT and both probably need copper treatment, also is that tanks biofilter up to that?)

(2) (why? you still need to maintain DT even if you dont have corals, your bac will die

I had separate rocks to put in QT to help with the Nitrogen cycle. I rely more of whatee changes to maintain goo water quality.

Yeah thats why I shutdown the DT so now I have all livestock in the 40G QT.

Sorry if I made it confusing.

OP
OP
M

mujimran

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had separate rocks to put in QT to help with the Nitrogen cycle. I rely more of whatee changes to maintain goo water quality.

Yeah thats why I shutdown the DT so now I have all livestock in the 40G QT.

Sorry if I made it confusing.
Cu is for Copper. I use Copper power.

The fallow period will complete on Jan 1st (I know. Just a coincidence).

But will have to do redo cooper treatment for all fishes now

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 37 31.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 27.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 41 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.2%
Back