Moving contents of existing tank to new one..Sand Bed question -> do I need one in a 30GL AIO?

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello.

I am replacing an existing 29gl old school tank with hang on overflow with Jtube going to a sump. I am replacing it with a AIO 30GL that I picked up. My plan is to move everything except the sand bed to a rubber maid storage container while I do the switch (same day exercise).
- I plan to use all new water that I will make to match salinity, temp, etc of existing tank parameters.
- i am not going to use existing sand bed. I plan to dispose of it.
- I will transfer everything to new tank same day.
- currently only have 2 Clowns and a Cleaner Shrimp in tank. This is not my primary display tank but rather a second tank, I will most likely add 1 or 2 additional small fish over time,

My question is what should I do about a sand bed. Should I go without a sand bed or add the new sand bed?
- with this being a AIO tank with no sump, do I need the sand bed to support the biological filter system or will live rock be enough (can add more if need be).
- What are the benefits or challenges if I do not use a sand bed for a tank this size?

Any advice is appreciated. My question comes from the fact that this is a smaller size tank so not sure what the impact would be in either option.
Thanks!

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No you don’t need it at all your plan is fine, see this recent example:

that was instantly made into bare bottom.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The notion that sandbeds are a required, integral part of filtration was smashed here at reef2reef

the hobby has had a long-standing myth that removing surface area must be done in increments

such as removing a filter, or someone’s remote sandbed, to give time for bacteria to migrate to other surfaces. This does not occur

you may have fish that like a sandbed but it’s not a bacterial or param issue to not have one.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The notion that sandbeds are a required, integral part of filtration was smashed here at reef2reef

the hobby has had a long-standing myth that removing surface area must be done in increments

such as removing a filter, or someone’s remote sandbed, to give time for bacteria to migrate to other surfaces. This does not occur

you may have fish that like a sandbed but it’s not a bacterial or param issue to not have one.
Hi Brandon429,

Excellent reading. I was hoping that was going to be the recommendation. I would prefer to go without a sand bed in this tank. Nice explanation as attached. I can have my sand dwelling fish in my other tank that has a sand bed.

Thanks for your quick feedback!

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did a tank transfer. I used 10 gallons of the old water. I was advised here and elsewhere to not take the sand but to use some of the old water. Overall it was an easy process. Have fun!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 18.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 46 51.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.0%
Back