Moving everything to 220g. LED???

Chris Harbaugh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have purchased a 220g tank, 72x24x29w. I am moving everything from my 125g and 30g into this tank. I currently have 4 Hydra 26HD and 2 Prime HD's. I'm sure this is not enough due to how wide the tank is but I'm a little pressed In regards to money and I do intend on setting these 2 tanks back up, I just need to move these tanks out of my living room and into my "new" tank room. 1st, am I correct in the statement that these lights are not enough for a 220g and second, should I try and purchase LED light strips or more hydra's?? I would like to find affordable light strips that have programmable light with as many color spectrums as the Hydra HD's offer. Any suggestions on this??

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't think they will make too much shadow?? This tank is over twice as wide as my 125g
Raise the lights. Instead of using them as archtecual accents or spot lights let them throw light wider across the tank to the left and right too. If that makes sense.
As I also like to say, aim for the top of the tank, not the bottom.

Poseidon84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i agree with salty. the par rating on the hydra are fine, they are designed to be optimal at 12" above the water, you can certainly lower them to achieve the penetration you require but at a small sacrifice in light spread. but personally id leave them at 12" and see how it goes, and at $350 a light and if you are on a budget as it would seem, i would do my best to conserve funds for something in the event of an equipment failure. hope this helps.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i agree with salty. the par rating on the hydra are fine, they are designed to be optimal at 12" above the water, you can certainly lower them to achieve the penetration you require but at a small sacrifice in light spread. but personally id leave them at 12" and see how it goes, and at $350 a light and if you are on a budget as it would seem, i would do my best to conserve funds for something in the event of an equipment failure. hope this helps.
I'm pretty sure those lights pack a serious punch.

OP
OP
Chris Harbaugh

Chris Harbaugh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for that tip about these lights being designed to be 12" above the water line. I have only had the 7 to 8 inches above. I just adjusted them up..thank you so much for that info. You wouldn't know what the height for prime hd is would you??

OP
OP
Chris Harbaugh

Chris Harbaugh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Raise the lights. Instead of using them as archtecual accents or spot lights let them throw light wider across the tank to the left and right too. If that makes sense.
As I also like to say, aim for the top of the tank, not the bottom.
I just did that. I had them at 7 to 8 inches. They are know 1' above the water line.. thank you for that info.. much needed advice..

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did that. I had them at 7 to 8 inches. They are know 1' above the water line.. thank you for that info.. much needed advice..
if grab a $15 lux meter (a 100,000 lux model), set the light to full on all channels and meter a 12in. itll tell you the limits of mounting and par. its very much like understanding the strength of kalk vs two part.

Poseidon84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for that tip about these lights being designed to be 12" above the water line. I have only had the 7 to 8 inches above. I just adjusted them up..thank you so much for that info. You wouldn't know what the height for prime hd is would you??
prime hd is also at 12"

OP
OP
Chris Harbaugh

Chris Harbaugh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if grab a $15 lux meter (a 100,000 lux model), set the light to full on all channels and meter a 12in. itll tell you the limits of mounting and par. its very much like understanding the strength of kalk vs two part.
I'm going to look at getting one from bulk reef supply.. I will use a rug like you used and get it metered before I place my rock and corals in my 220g tank after I cycle it.. I will place my corals accordingly.. but one more question salty, is there some literature, via book or web, that explains what light par, or lux each species of coral likes?? I'm talking the different preferences of a Acropora Spathulata vs a Latistella or just the different between a plating Mom to vs a b. Welsi??? All the literature I have ever read, all the books, even when reading up on a species specific references the advice, "high light" or "moderate light". I mean, is there literature a little more specific than that out there??

OP
OP
Chris Harbaugh

Chris Harbaugh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to look at getting one from bulk reef supply.. I will use a rug like you used and get it metered before I place my rock and corals in my 220g tank after I cycle it.. I will place my corals accordingly.. but one more question salty, is there some literature, via book or web, that explains what light par, or lux each species of coral likes?? I'm talking the different preferences of a Acropora Spathulata vs a Latistella or just the different between a plating Mom to vs a b. Welsi??? All the literature I have ever read, all the books, even when reading up on a species specific references the advice, "high light" or "moderate light". I mean, is there literature a little more specific than that out there??
And yes. I had to look them names up, I can't remember how too spell them..

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. no. there's no book I know of (I wold love on). the thing is, may corals are highly adaptable to different light levels. i have acros that grow in the same amount of light as my xenia at the top of my tank. mushrooms and zoas grow in shallow seas. And many acros will grow in places they are out of the water but also 30+ feet down.

add that to the amount of light you can use is relative to the amount of nutrients available in the system.

a neat thread. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/h...d-i-dont-know-what-to-do.210035/#post-2401666

OP
OP
Chris Harbaugh

Chris Harbaugh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. no. there's no book I know of (I wold love on). the thing is, may corals are highly adaptable to different light levels. i have acros that grow in the same amount of light as my xenia at the top of my tank. mushrooms and zoas grow in shallow seas. And many acros will grow in places they are out of the water but also 30+ feet down.

add that to the amount of light you can use is relative to the amount of nutrients available in the system.

a neat thread. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/h...d-i-dont-know-what-to-do.210035/#post-2401666
Thank you for that link. Or I should say, links.. as far as what I have, only problem corals I have is with a. Tenius. I'm thinking it's light.. might not be just that.. thank you..

Back