odd tank size - LED options

reef tank 2.0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been dabbling a little here and there, when it comes to LED lighting for my 32x24x24 cube. The setup will be for a mixed reef.
The 32" throws things off. I am trying to find one fixture that will take care of everything. The tank is not that big to have more than that.
I would really like to have a fixture that has manual control knobs and that won't rely on wifi in order to operate. This isn't a deal breaker, but would certainly like to avoid if possible.
I used to have AI Hydra HD 26 fixtures. I was not a fan of the app in order to control them.
All the lights I was looking at (>$1000) all seem to be for smaller / larger tanks.
I did find the Hydra 64HD. If I am right, that one fixture look like I would only need the one in order to achieve the mixed reef requirements.

Can anyone confirm this, or possibly recommend better lights that would fit the bill?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef Breeders makes a 32 inch. I don't know about apps and stuff, but I think that they have one with a remote instead of an app. I could be out of date.

I guess that if they have software, it cannot be any worse than the 2006 high school class project that all of the Aperture lights like AI, Neptune and EcoTech have.

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know about how you would like it but you could go with something like a ncrew 100w. It covers about the same area in my tank.
All you would have to get is the little controller that comes with it. They're also cheapm

saltcats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The older reefbreeders models have the remote, you might find one up for resale somewhere (the v2, not the pro).

The new one has the app and it is (in my limited experience so far, only just set it up) easier to program than the AI app.
Rather than trying to tap on a little tiny graph and slide things up and down you just type the time and intensity for each channel set points. I am missing the acclimation mode though (hope they add that), and unless I'm missing it I haven't found a way yet to scale up or down the intensity of your whole schedule while keeping it in the same ratio between channels. Not sure if either of those would be important to you, anyway!

OP
OP
reef tank 2.0

reef tank 2.0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The biggest issue I had was not only it depending on wifi, but when I set the light levels, I'd go back in to adjust slightly and all my other color levels were set to 0. Although the lights remember what the settings were, the app itself didn't. If I didn't write the settings down, or screen shot them, I'd have to guess where they were. Which then, as you'd guess, it was a constant cycle. Towards the end of the tank, I remembered to screen shot. Contacted customer service about it, but got nowhere. So wifi and apps are a no go for me. Unless things have drastically improved in the last 5 years. But I doubt it

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back