Moving fish from a medicated quarantine tank to display tank

icliao

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there. Any tips or procedures on moving copper or CP treated fish back to the display tank? I am going on the holiday and have no time to put fish in an non medicated tank for further observation. The fish has been "processed" with Prazipro and full doser copper for 30 days has never show any symptoms or stress from day 1. Is there any addition precaution measures I can do to further reduce the chance of introducing disease to the display tank?

deedubz

nuttier than a squirrel turd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was there any observation period after medication was completed, or is today day 30?

OP
OP
icliao

icliao

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was there any observation period after medication was completed, or is today day 30?

No time to do the observation. That is the problem. The fish are still in medication QT tank and it is almost 30 days. My vacation will be coming up soon so leaves no time to transfer them to the observation tank. I may be able to squeeze two weeks for observation but not sure if it will make any difference.

deedubz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No time to do the observation. That is the problem. The fish are still in medication QT tank and it is almost 30 days. My vacation will be coming up soon so leaves no time to transfer them to the observation tank. I may be able to squeeze two weeks for observation but not sure if it will make any difference.

If you can, I highly recommend doing so. That 2 weeks to verify you aren't transferring anything with the fish is crucial.

deedubz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you already have an observation tank? If so, what equipment do you have?

OP
OP
icliao

icliao

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will just sterilize a 2.5ft tank and add liverocks and wave pump even throw in a HOB skimmer.

OP
OP
icliao

icliao

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another option is to cut the copper treatment to 21 days and transfer the fish into a clean tank for 21 days observation. Would that be a better option?

deedubz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not advised to do so other than in an emergency because it is very hard to pull it off without reinfection. That said, here's Humblefish's writeup on moving fish out of copper in an emergency.
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/the-bacterial-infection-predicament.310311/#post-3816129

If it were me I'd wait it out. You can set up the observation tank by soaking biomax and a filter sponge in biospira. Simply put them in a Tupperware and submerge with the bottle of biospira and some fresh saltwater. I've never had an ammonia issue doing this. Between qt and observation you could do a "dipping station." Use a bowl of water from the observation tank and just dip each fish in it for a few seconds between transfer.

Last edited:

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 17 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back