Moving fish to Hospital tank what do I need to do with Display Tank

Aquanoob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me start out with I am new to the Saltwater hobby (1 year) but have been in the freshwater hobby for 15 years and hardly ever lose a fish which is why this is so frustrating to me.

I came home from a vacation and found my Mimic Tang died looking at him I couldn’t see any visual signs of disease. Then a week later I lost my pair of clown fish they were breathing heavy and looked like they were sloughing looked cloudy. I now see that on my Scopas tang so I am moving all fish to hospital tank to treat with API General Cure. My display set up is a 75 gallon with a 20 gallon sump all water parameters are testing in range using my Hanna Checkers.

I know I’m Going to treat the fish in the hospital tank do I also need to treat the display tank and if so what sure I use that’s reef safe? Should I just treat the display tank and the fish together? I have only LPS coral and other than fish I have a brittle star, some CUC blue crabs and snails.

Not sure what to do with display tank please help!

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I'm not sure, I'm fairly new (less than a year), but I would probaly suggest doing a LARGE water change, maybe like 35g-50g? Water changes will usually help clear things out of the water. Are you running any carbon at all?
Have you noticed anything else go missing? It's possible something died and you missed it, and it just decayed in a part of the tank you couldn't see.
#reefsquad more help pls.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure what you are treating. Posting pictures of the sick fish might help the experts give you clear advice.

Arabyps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems to me it is important to identify the exact disease you are fighting and the appropriate cure. That will effect the way you handle the DT. Generally, a fallow period of up to 76+ days on the DT is recommended for outbreaks of ich and velvet. @Jay Hemdal

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The most important step is identifying the disease. By your description I'd read up on Brooklynella. Pictures would be a huge help.

Typically with fish diseases, they require a fish to complete the life cycle, so the usual treatment is to remove all the fish and leave it fallow (fishless) for a period of time, depending on the disease.

If you have any fish left in your display, they have to be treated as well, as they will have whatever it is, even if they are not showing signs.

OP
OP
A

Aquanoob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The most important step is identifying the disease. By your description I'd read up on Brooklynella. Pictures would be a huge help.

Typically with fish diseases, they require a fish to complete the life cycle, so the usual treatment is to remove all the fish and leave it fallow (fishless) for a period of time, depending on the disease.

If you have any fish left in your display, they have to be treated as well, as they will have whatever it is, even if they are not showing signs.
Thanks for the response. When I leave it fallow does that include removing the clean up crew also Brittle Star, Crabs and Snails?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks working on getting pictures they are not very helpful in this endeavor every time I raise the camera they bolt.
Mine are the same. Maybe try feeding to distract them from your camera

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response. When I leave it fallow does that include removing the clean up crew also Brittle Star, Crabs and Snails?
Generally, no. Most common diseases (and parasitic infections) require fish as a host, and if you remove the fish, the ailment will usually die out within the fallow period. It's also incredibly difficult to remove all inverts from a tank unless you break it down.

OP
OP
A

Aquanoob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally, no. Most common diseases (and parasitic infections) require fish as a host, and if you remove the fish, the ailment will usually die out within the fallow period. It's also incredibly difficult to remove all inverts from a tank unless you break it down.
Thanks that’s what I was hoping to hear

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 31.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 8.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back