Moving my tank into another room.

Sorry, no.
If your removing the rock, water, to move the tank, just scoop out the sand. Rinse, use some tank water for final rinse.
The majority of the rinsing is out on the lawn with a hose and tap water. You can clean the tank if you want.

Your doing all the work anyway. The sand is the dirtiest part and doesn't make sense NOT to rinse it if your cleaning all the rest.
I understand fully now. Thanks for the help. Looks like ill be rising my sand out to make it nice and clean.
 
I'm no expert, but some people, like me, paid a lot to buy live rock and sand, which is what you have now.

I'd vacuum the sand, remove water like you're doing a water change, but save it in a brute, put the live rock in the brute, plan it all out so you can get the tank from A to B, and get it set back up with little to no die off.

Unless the tank is currently in bad shape, personally, I'd be trying to save as much as I can, but I do believe vacuuming the sand, thoroughly, is a solid idea. Rinsing it, and likely killing most of the beneficial bacteria though, seems unnecessary.

Again, I'm not an expert, still learning, but this is what I'd do.
 
How much water do I need to keep or put back in the tank to keep the bacteria alive?
Can I scrub my LR before i put it back in? Without running into issues?
Should I rise my sand before putting it back in?
Last but not least should i clean everything? aka skimmer sump power heads etc.. before putting back in with fresh water.

I should add I have a 110.4 waterbox. 79 gallon display and 31 gallon sump.

Thanks in advance.

Im planning to add cheato and a Neptune Gro light when I move it as well. The reason im moving the tank is to to make room for another display tank that is larger.
Having moved a couple of pet store locations, keep it simple. Drain tank and salvage water down to 3" of water. Lift tank and stand onto 2- 2.5" PVC and place tubing in front of left and right side of tank. Tank will then roll on the tubing like a cart and you can roll it into next room. Leaving water in tank will keep bacteria alive.
 
I'm no expert, but some people, like me, paid a lot to buy live rock and sand, which is what you have now.

I'd vacuum the sand, remove water like you're doing a water change, but save it in a brute, put the live rock in the brute, plan it all out so you can get the tank from A to B, and get it set back up with little to no die off.

Unless the tank is currently in bad shape, personally, I'd be trying to save as much as I can, but I do believe vacuuming the sand, thoroughly, is a solid idea. Rinsing it, and likely killing most of the beneficial bacteria though, seems unnecessary.

Again, I'm not an expert, still learning, but this is what I'd do.
Scrubbing the rock in salt water and always keeping it wet won't kill it.
I'm not sure why OP wants to scrub it, maybe algae? Normally I would just use a turkey baster.

Rinsing sand may kill some bacteria but not all of it. There is way more bacteria in the rock that will repopulate the sand very quickly. Rinsing the sand will get rid of all the detritus that's in it. Some people replace it yearly just for that detritus removal.
 
Scrubbing the rock in salt water and always keeping it wet won't kill it.
I'm not sure why OP wants to scrub it, maybe algae? Normally I would just use a turkey baster.

Rinsing sand may kill some bacteria but not all of it. There is way more bacteria in the rock that will repopulate the sand very quickly. Rinsing the sand will get rid of all the detritus that's in it. Some people replace it yearly just for that detritus removal.
Just wanted to clean everything in the tank but really making sure I don’t cause a recycle.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.5%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 16 28.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 33.3%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 10.5%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.3%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 12.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new