Moving reef tank, need all the help I can get!

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you completly replaced the sand do you think that would have saved them? I don’t plan on keeping any of the sand I have and was just going to buy new sand
You know Im not sure. The guy had bare minimal sand, probably 50 pounds total, so 99% of the sand was new since I wanted a deeper sand bed. I ended up having to get rid of all the rock since they had those tube snail thingys all over. I feel like I should have just started with brand new stuff, I felt when I switched all the old rock out with new that made the difference. Also not sure what kind of rock that he had but it had a weird concrete like texture

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d be too worried about getting stung by a dang bristleworm to sift through it! I will check that out because I know it’s going to get quite cloudy and I want to clear it up as quick as possible so the fish can get back to their home
Wear gloves if you're that concerned

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d be too worried about getting stung by a dang bristleworm to sift through it! I will check that out because I know it’s going to get quite cloudy and I want to clear it up as quick as possible so the fish can get back to their home
Well, you can wear gloves... ;)

I found that after letting it sit for a few hours in water, a lot of tiny limpets and chiton, and a few snails I had missed, crawled onto the sides of the tote. Depending on what else you want to try to salvage, you can sift through it with a plastic strainer spoon (like you use for spaghetti) or even just add a few cupfuls back to the tank. (But a lot of micro critters will transfer over in your rock too...)

Good luck! It's exciting to get your own place!!

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, you can wear gloves... ;)

I found that after letting it sit for a few hours in water, a lot of tiny limpets and chiton, and a few snails I had missed, crawled onto the sides of the tote. Depending on what else you want to try to salvage, you can sift through it with a plastic strainer spoon (like you use for spaghetti) or even just add a few cupfuls back to the tank. (But a lot of micro critters will transfer over in your rock too...)

Good luck! It's exciting to get your own place!!
Thank you! Very exciting but scary with my tank lol, it seems like most people do it and mostly everything makes it. Just seems like such a scary task

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! Very exciting but scary with my tank lol, it seems like most people do it and mostly everything makes it. Just seems like such a scary task
You'll be fine. The worst part is trying to recreate the perfect scape, lol

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or finding beauty in the new scape.. I find that its never exactly the same after pulling rocks and replacing
Absolutely! But I was so used to my old scape that it took a while for the new one to look "right". (Plus, stacking everything so it fits together can be a pita!)

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely! But I was so used to my old scape that it took a while for the new one to look "right". (Plus, stacking everything so it fits together can be a pita!)
Exactly! I would be the same lol
Or finding beauty in the new scape.. I find that its never exactly the same after pulling rocks and replacing
change is always nice too

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tell me about it!! I tried to put mine back in same places but some top rocks ended up on the bottom, stacking was a big pain. Some parts came out better looking, others not so much. I did like when encrusted growth popped out in new places- very natural looking. Some took months to show themselves after the move

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
So I found myself my first place to rent! Very excited however I have one major fear, moving my tank. It’s on the ground floor and the loading zone is right outside our patio which will help out for sure. The tank is 4ft long by 2ft wide and 16” tall total volume with sump is 100G. This is my plan to do it but need extra help and advice please!

Get about 3 garbage cans mixed and heated about 70-80 gallons in the apartment before I begin. The drive is only about 10 minutes so not too far.

Come back to my tank and start draining some water, once I get quite a few full I will start to take the fish out. Planning on putting my foxface and tang together in one, my clowns and hawkfish and royal gramma in one, then all my wrasses in the last bucket. Then get buckets for all my rock, still not sure what to do with my coral maybe put them all in baggies? drain the rest of the tank, shoot out the sand, dissemble the piping and all equipment and bring it all over to the new place. Quickly get the new sand in and begin filling, once it gets high enough put the rocks in, then coral and finally fish last.

Does this seem like the best way possible? I want to try and make this as easy as possible for the fish and myself as well as keeping the tank in one piece. Any help is greatly appreciated as I’m super nervous for this!
Use like 4-5 ice chest for fish and coral , rock . Then use trash cans for water . Make one trip , dump water in with powerhead . Don’t use water the live rock was in because it will be cloudy and dirty. Transfer fish and setup return pump etc asap .

I just moved 240g in June . It was successful but I had a thread just like you . I’d say 4 people to lift the tank and get things going to prevent any die off

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use like 4-5 ice chest for fish and coral , rock . Then use trash cans for water . Make one trip , dump water in with powerhead . Don’t use water the live rock was in because it will be cloudy and dirty. Transfer fish and setup return pump etc asap .

I just moved 240g in June . It was successful but I had a thread just like you . I’d say 4 people to lift the tank and get things going to prevent any die off
I’m guessing the ice chest cause it will keep the temperature better then a bucket would?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 124 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back