Moving and rebuilding an unhealthy reef tank

ed12589

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, my name is Ed and although I have had a saltwater tank in the past, I consider myself new to the hobby. I've read a lot of helpful advice on here already and I thank all of you for the knowledge that you share.

So, here's my situation... I am buying an established reef tank. The current owner says it's been up a couple of years. I'm mostly buying the tank for the equipment and it's worth every penny I'm spending, even if I lose all of the fish and corals. Obviously, I don't want that happen.
My question isn't as much about moving, as I've already done quite a bit of research on that and about to get started.

The big thing is, the tank seems a little unhealthy (I guess, unkept may be more accurate). There is quite a bit of green algae on the live rock, sand and glass. I can also count 15 or so aiptasia, some of which are pretty big, right out in the open. I plan to slowly transfer everything into a new tank, and I would like to regain control in the process. I guess I'm asking if this is worth the effort and what steps should I take to make it happen as simply and seamlessly as possible.

I'm looking forward hearing everyone's opinion. I'll post some pics later also, once I get the tank home and in it's temporary place. Thanks again.

OP
OP
E

ed12589

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response. I got the tank moved a few days ago and surprisingly, didn't have any casualties. In fact, the tank looks more healthy than it did when I got it and the corals look great and have already grown a bit.

Unfortunately, the aiptasias have grown substantially and I've been seeing some rust colored algae spreading across the sand (diatoms, maybe). There are quite a few hermit crabs, but those are the only cleaners I've seen. I guess a few snails and maybe a couple peppermint shrimp should help out some.

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response. I got the tank moved a few days ago and surprisingly, didn't have any casualties. In fact, the tank looks more healthy than it did when I got it and the corals look great and have already grown a bit.

Unfortunately, the aiptasias have grown substantially and I've been seeing some rust colored algae spreading across the sand (diatoms, maybe). There are quite a few hermit crabs, but those are the only cleaners I've seen. I guess a few snails and maybe a couple peppermint shrimp should help out some.
That's what I would do. If any hair alge just pull it up and I'd get some nassarius

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back