Moving Saltwater Fish Long Distance

Toshira99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am hoping to start a saltwater aquarium soon but I have a feeling we’ll be moving long distance (20+ hr car ride) by the end of the year due to job relocation. If we drive straight to our destination with the fish in their own 5 gallon buckets would it be okay? (Thinking an eel, possibly a puffer, and goby or blenny)

biophilia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While it's possible, and even likely, that the fish would survive that trip (especially if you kept an eye on temperature and had battery-powered air pumps in the buckets) the bigger issue is would you have a tank already set up and cycled for them to be transferred into at the new location?

Macbalacano

Recovering Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While it's possible, and even likely, that the fish would survive that trip (especially if you kept an eye on temperature and had battery-powered air pumps in the buckets) the bigger issue is would you have a tank already set up and cycled for them to be transferred into at the new location?
+1 to this. I've moved a 55g a couple of times before with great success, but it was the most stressful parts of my move, and I barely had any coral back then.

Definitely gotta have a plan upon arrival.

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could theoretically setup a bucket in the vehicle with a heater and sponge filter/air pump on an inverter... It still sounds like a headache any way you go about it though

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a reefing forum my answer may not be the most common answer but in my opinion if you'll be moving within a year I would just wait until you move to get a tank. I've moved a 55 FOWLR and a 75 reef due to a move and it is a huge hassle, and I was only moving across town.

MentalNote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contrary to the earlier posts, I've moved multiple times 20+ hours with my tank - to include blizzard conditions - without issue.

This is what I've found useful:
0. Tank is the last thing to come down and first thing to put up.
1. Large cooler. I put my corals and rock inside with a pump and heater, connected to an inverter, connected to the car.
2. Bucket or second cooler. I used this second one for fish, using a pump and heater again. You may need a second vehicle depending on power output or share the heater, moving it between the rock/coral and fish container. I kept fish separate as I was afraid the rocks would shift and squish a fish.
3. Bring all the saltwater you need with you. I used a mix of fresh and used tank water. Take the tank water off the top when tearing it down. Once you start disturbing rocks, a lot of detritus is stirred up and you won't want to transport that water.
4. Bring extra saltwater, just in case. I brought ~130 gallons for my 100 gallon system. Note that this heavy and takes space, but for me I would rather lug around extra saltwater that risk not having enough.
5. If staying overnighting at a hotel, carry the cooler and buck into the room and reconnect the pump and heater.
6. When I got to the final location, only setup the tank. Don't worry about the sump; Messing with plumbing is too much. Just make sure the stand is in its permeant spot, put the tank on-top, fill it with water. You can mess with plumbing the sump in a few days as the house gets in order.
7. Add water and heat. This is the longest part - it'll take hours to reheat the water. Take a nap on the floor while you wait or start unloading the trucks. (I've done both, recommend the nap!)
8. Once up to temp, add back in rocks, corals and fish. You did it! Now work on the rest of the house.

I never had a cycle or die off the three times I've done a long distance move.

This does add stress to the move, but for me, I'm not interested in not having a tank or losing the sense of progress I've had growing a coral from a tiny spec to a giant colony.

Hope his helps somebody.

OP
OP
T

Toshira99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Contrary to the earlier posts, I've moved multiple times 20+ hours with my tank - to include blizzard conditions - without issue.

1. Large cooler. I put my corals and rock inside with a pump and heater, connected to an inverter, connected to the car.
2. Bucket or second cooler. I used this second one for fish, using a pump and heater again. You may need a second vehicle depending on power output or share the heater, moving it between the rock/coral and fish container. I kept fish separate as I was afraid the rocks would shift and squish a fish.
3. Bring all the saltwater you need with you. I used a mix of fresh and used tank water. Take the tank water off the top when tearing it down. Once you start disturbing rocks, a lot of detritus is stirred up and you won't want to transport that water.
4. Bring extra saltwater, just in case. I brought ~130 gallons for my 100 gallon system. Note that this heavy and takes space, but for me I would rather lug around extra saltwater that risk not having enough.
5. If staying overnighting at a hotel, carry the cooler and buck into the room and reconnect the pump and heater.
6. When I got to the final location, only setup the tank. Don't worry about the sump; Messing with plumbing is too much. Just make sure the stand is in its permeant spot, put the tank on-top, fill it with water. You can mess with plumbing the sump in a few days as the house gets in order.
7. Add water and heat. This is the longest part - it'll take hours to reheat the water. Take a nap on the floor while you wait or start unloading the trucks. (I've done both, recommend the nap!)
8. Once up to temp, add back in rocks, corals and fish. You did it! Now work on the rest of the house.

This does add stress to the move, but for me, I'm not interested in not having a tank or losing the sense of progress I've had growing a coral from a tiny spec to a giant colony.

Hope his helps somebody.
Thank you! This makes me feel much better about the eventual move.

MyLittleReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you add any prime for ammonia purposes? Is there an ideal ratio of water:air in the container used for transporting the fish?

MentalNote

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For circulating, I was running a pump at all times to keep the oxygen exchange with the ambient air - it wasn’t a sealed container. (5 gallon buck with lose lid to prevent spills)

Regarding ammonia, I don’t remember. I know I had prime, just don’t remember if I needed to dose any.

ratkomkd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next month I’m moving 3500km. Got lots of reading and this post here stood out.
here is my article and my preparation
Link

SamiTANKS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hope his helps somebody.
Thanks for this! What type of heaters did you use for the 5 gallon buckets? Do you have to worry about glass heaters being in buckets with the rocks? Any tips on how to package corals to prevent them from breaking / stinging each other?

dhnguyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a power inverter for your car and plug it into a cigarette lighter socket. You can then run air pumps and heaters off it. That's how I did it when I moved from California to Washington. Didn't lose any fish. Even the corals survived. As for corals not stinging each other I tied a piece of styrofoam with a plastic bag at the base so they float upside down. The plastic bags keep them from touch each other.

SamiTANKS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a power inverter for your car and plug it into a cigarette lighter socket. You can then run air pumps and heaters off it. That's how I did it when I moved from California to Washington. Didn't lose any fish. Even the corals survived. As for corals not stinging each other I tied a piece of styrofoam with a plastic bag at the base so they float upside down. The plastic bags keep them from touch each other.
Very helpful! Do you have any links or pics that show the styrofoam plastic bag setup?

dhnguyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any pics but it's simple really.

Think of it like this

but instead of a plastic cup I used an open plastic bag as a barrier around the coral. The styrofoam will keep it floating.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 112 87.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back