What is your coral shipping routine?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would like to know the shipping routine of those of you that sell or trade coral on occasion. There are many different methods that people like to use, packing procedures, special shipping products, and even preferred drop off times and shipping companies. So get detailed and let's hear how you do it!

Also share some photos of good and bad shipping jobs you have experienced. No names please! LOL!

packed-corals-sml_zps006a4b16.jpg

RichieT

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Step 1 - buy an impulse sealer. This makes shipping so much easier, cleaner and dryer. I think they are around 40-50 bucks on eBay. This is the thing that lets you seal bags without tying off the bags.

Step 2: buy quality shipping supplies ( boxes, bags, insulation). Uline is a pretty good site.

Step 3: figure out if you need heat packs or ice packs. Hand Warmers really aren't the best.

Step 4: figure out the last time you can drop off at FedEx or ups. Try to get it there as late as possible.

Daimyo68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I take a large frag bag and cut strips, then use those strips to wrap the coral loosely. While the coral is still in the water and wrapped, it put it into the small frag bag that's already submerged. Once this is done, I then level off water in the frag bag, twist and rubber band, and then push that into another frag bag, twisted end first.

The wrap keeps the frags from moving around in the frag bag, and the second frag bag guarantees me no leaks.

Been doing it like this for years and have an almost 8 year arrive alive/no leaks streak going ;)

I do like the Impulse Sealer idea though. I have received a couple corals packaged like this. No issues at all

florida reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there are any veterans out there, USAA has an agreement with Fedex to give their members a discount on shipping, like 20%. It's free to sign up and you don't have to have an account of loan through them or anything. I signed up for it years ago, so I can't remember the exact process but it was very simple. I called Fedex once and when I asked for an even bigger discount and the rep told me the discount I already receive was just about as good as it gets.

I use Fedex priority overnight w/ 1030am delivery to ship all my packages. I save packing peanuts from other purchases and use them to insulate/protect my bags or urine specimen cups. If I use a cup I will cut up a bag and surround the frag so it doesn't bounce around in the hard plastic cup during transit. I have gone a little crazy on Amazon since subscribing to amazon prime and recently ordered myself an impulse sealer. It does wonders!
I use 3/4" foam insulation board to insulate the box. I bought a 4'x8' sheet (I think it was $20) and cut it up to ft the dimensions of my box.
I drop the package off at the last available drop off time, 6:30pm usually here in Lakeland.

Last edited:

WesF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a veteran but I signed up for the FedEx super saver program. I get 22% off and it can go up to about 30% off if my volume goes up. I do ship quite a bit though.

You get 16% off just for creating an account and making your own labels. Then if you find yourself shipping alot you can call FedEx and wok a deal with a sales rep to get a bigger discount. If you spend more, you get bigger discounts.

I use insulated shipping boxes, double bag, and packing peanuts to prevent the bags from moving around.

The size of the box makes a huge difference in price. So keep it as small as possible. An 8x8x7 box is a good size for small frag packs because its about as big as you can go before the price shoots way up.

For example, an 8x8x7 box shipped priority overnight can cost $55 but if you ship a 12x12x12 box it can cost almost $90.

I drop off right before the last express pickup at 7pm and it usually gets there before 10:30am the following morning.

I use heat packs and cold packs when applicable but you need to be careful about the frags getting too close to the heat/cold source. I tape the pack to the bottom of the styrofoam lid and peanuts/newspaper to prevent the frags from getting too close. If the temp is moderate 50-70 I don't use a heat or cold pack.

Last edited:
OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great info everyone and ideas!

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think i would rather have my corals banging into a soft bag instead of a hard container all night like they would be in that picture. We use Heat sealed bags and can fit 8 frags in a tiny 6x6x4 box. Heat pack if the average low temp between the two places is below 50 and ice if the temp is above 85 when shipping.

I agree. They should glue the frag plugs to the cap. :)

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bump!

ebushrow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like how cherry corals ships the frags... Take small plastic cups found at GFS cut an x in the bottom and push the frag plug into the x. Then in a bag of water .... Works great, you can get different volumes for different size frags.

mrbee2828

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like how cherry corals ships the frags... Take small plastic cups found at GFS cut an x in the bottom and push the frag plug into the x. Then in a bag of water .... Works great, you can get different volumes for different size frags.

Forgive me but GFS stands for what?

turbo21

Fenchies and Fish Oh My
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
General food stores. It's a small
Store that has bulk food and food packing items Same stuff that SAMs club would carry but on a much much smaller level

ozmosis7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tend to have chaeto grow like crazy, and I've used small amounts of it to pad corals for shipping. Doesn't seem to harm anything, and the buyer gets a bit of free chaeto.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 88 80.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back