Moving tank across state for the 12th time

gordonj1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thursday I get to move my 5 tanks across the state for the 12th time in 4 years. Oh the joy of being a college student with multiple reef tanks. LOL why do I keep doing this to myself?

Anyone else ever have this problem?

I, luckily, have never lost any corals or fish in the moving process *knock on wood* and it seems like the process isn't all that bad any more.

everything seems fine, but I can never have that permanent scape I have longed for...

Tradewinds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With those many successful moves you should be able to write the how-to manual for the rest of us.

If I moved around that much I think I would stick with a single Nano.

mcola78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really, but I'm about to make the move from Arkansas to Tampa, FL and trying to figure out what to do. It is a 20hr drive and I have a 25gallon full reef office tank. Any experience you have I would love to hear.

JMSKI333

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With those many successful moves you should be able to write the how-to manual for the rest of us.

If I moved around that much I think I would stick with a single Nano.

+1! You should make a quick tip guide to moving a reef system!

OP
OP
G

gordonj1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first time I moved my tanks, I went out and bought a bunch of Homer buckets at home depot with lids. I fill the buckets with base rock and live rock from my aquariums.Then, I fill another bucket (or 5) for fish/mantis shrimp with water then catch the fish since all the rocks are out now :). Then I grab all the related corals so softies such a s zoas go in the same tupperware container then you float that container in the bucket with the rocks so it stays warmer longer. more delicate corals like birdsnests get their own container. it's pretty simple.

Once everything is out of the aquarium(s) I take a towel and place it on the sand bed to keep it wet, not moist, wet. I DO NOT recommend replacing the sand. There are way too many important organisms in the sand. also... "live sand" you buy at the store is a waste of money and is far from "live" and will not be as beneficial to you as leaving the old sand in.

always keep everything inside the cabin of the vehicle. I only haul my aquariums in the back of the truck if it is warm outside. do not attempt this in the winter. the sand, and tank glass will be so cold, that it will take you 6 hrs to warm up the new tank water. there are ways around this, but whatever. make it easy on yourself.

Also, I use ALL NEW saltwater. You might be able to save 50% of your old water but it should not have anything transported in it aka rock, fish. corals etc. I suggest using all new water.

Plan it out and give yourself lots of time. It usually takes me by myself 3 hours to break down and 3 hours to put it back up.

I have a 20g long SW, 6.6g fluval chi SW, 10g FW, 2.5g betta (that's a joke to move compared to SW), and a 5.5g mantis tank SW

if you have questions lmk

Catchem20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gordon when you say you use new sw for housing fish and corals in your move, do you acclimate each to their new container of water?

cginter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I could break down my 125 into smaller tanks..... This move is gonna be a long stressful process.

Christina Sesa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there! I just wanted to post in case mcola hadn't moved yet. Fish and corals are shipped to me in bags in a styrofoam box, in a cardboard box. Then they are covered with newspaper and they put those like hand warmers you use when you go skiing on top of the newspaper and close it up. At least in the winter. In the summer it's cold packs. The animals ship for 24 hours plus sometimes and come in fine. They are def stressed but calm down quickly. Also, since you can travel with your animals, it may be worth it to do a water change if you plan on stopping over night. That's the most stressful part...the ammonia build up in the bag. Some vendors will not feed fish for a few days prior to ship out in order to prevent high ammonia spikes in the bags. Oh and keeping them in the dark is best! The bags I get are dark cored so the fish is in the dark and also so that they cant see each other. Anyway, good luck!

OP
OP
G

gordonj1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gordon when you say you use new sw for housing fish and corals in your move, do you acclimate each to their new container of water?

I don't use new water for transport.mi use tank water. I use all new water for setting the tank back up.

Back