Moving tank how much water should I remove

UkiahTheTurtle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am moving my tank across my bedroom and it is 20 gallon aquarium it probably weighs around 190 -200 pounds I will be moving it on its piece of furniture by sliding it. How much water should I remove and should a take out rocks?

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I am moving my tank across my bedroom and it is 20 gallon aquarium it probably weighs around 190 -200 pounds I will be moving it on its piece of furniture by sliding it. How much water should I remove and should a take out rocks?
Since you aren’t moving it significantly/don’t need to go down stairs and are just sliding it you could just remove the all the little critters and enough water so it doesn’t spill or splash on the floor. Ideally you want to try not to disturb the system too much and having multiple people would make it possible since it’s a small tank.

OP
OP
UkiahTheTurtle

UkiahTheTurtle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you aren’t moving it significantly/don’t need to go down stairs and are just sliding it you could just remove the all the little critters and enough water so it doesn’t spill or splash on the floor. Ideally you want to try not to disturb the system too much and having multiple people would make it possible since it’s a small tank.
I am just moving the tank about 6ft and no one is carrying it we are just going to slides it’s stand

OP
OP
UkiahTheTurtle

UkiahTheTurtle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
water is heavy, I believe like 8 1/4lbs/gal, so I guess you'll have to remove enough to be able to comfortably move the setup...

just consider it time for a water change after the move!
Well tomorrow is water change day anyway :winking-face:

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would remove about half the water and any rocks that might fall and crack the glass or crush a fish or something. Just put the rocks in the water you drained for the few minutes it will take to move the tank.

OP
OP
UkiahTheTurtle

UkiahTheTurtle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would remove about half the water and any rocks that might fall and crack the glass or crush a fish or something. Just put the rocks in the water you drained for the few minutes it will take to move the tank.
That’s what I was thinking but would my tail spot blenny be a problem I can never get him to leave the rock he is in

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just throwing it out there, my current tank specifically states that moving the tank with water in it is not a ideal. As mentioned above water is heavy, if the water shifts to one side of the non-supported tank it can stress the seals beyond what they were meant to handle. If you have the ability to remove the inhabitants you might as well just drain it too

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd just mostly empty it, carry it over and fill it back up. Should take less than 10 minutes.

Back