Moving Tanks.. Give your TIPS & TRICKS

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets talk moving tanks! Something we dread and never want to do, but at times it becomes a reality for us in this hobby! There's a chance I may have to move my tanks here in the near future so felt it would be good to start a discussion about tips and tricks for moving. Whether I learn from your tips or not, this is a great place where all can come by and see what little nuggets of knowledge they can find from the thread!

As for me, I feel having some sort of cigarette lighter converter to a normal house plug in is key because you can run a heater and then have an overkill on bubblers if needed.. Now that I may be moving down the coast I have the concept of having a lifelong reefing buddy of mine @BighohoReef hold my corals and fish down in a seperate tank (bless your heart) until my lagoon is back up and ready.. Shoutout to my man @BighohoReef !

What is your biggest nightmare when moving a system, and any other crazy tank moving stories you want to share feel free to do so down in the thread!

1619224245892.png

Why is this picture so fitting?... HAHAHA

prdubois

Check out my 225gal: https://www.reef2reef.com/th
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. have a plan
2. Lots of buckets with lids (Lowes sells cheep)
3. Rinse or get new sand. (A couple cups of the old sand not rinsed to seed the new or rinsed)
4. Have new water ready. Use 75% old water and 25% new.
5. take your time and its not that bad
6. no reason to aerate fish unless its going to take more then 5 hours

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets talk moving tanks! Something we dread and never want to do, but at times it becomes a reality for us in this hobby! There's a chance I may have to move my tanks here in the near future so felt it would be good to start a discussion about tips and tricks for moving. Whether I learn from your tips or not, this is a great place where all can come by and see what little nuggets of knowledge they can find from the thread!

As for me, I feel having some sort of cigarette lighter converter to a normal house plug in is key because you can run a heater and then have an overkill on bubblers if needed.. Now that I may be moving down the coast I have the concept of having a lifelong reefing buddy of mine @BighohoReef hold my corals and fish down in a seperate tank (bless your heart) until my lagoon is back up and ready.. Shoutout to my man @BighohoReef !

What is your biggest nightmare when moving a system, and any other crazy tank moving stories you want to share feel free to do so down in the thread!

1619224245892.png

Why is this picture so fitting?... HAHAHA

1. have a plan
2. Lots of buckets with lids (Lowes sells cheep)
3. Rinse or get new sand. (A couple cups of the old sand not rinsed to seed the new or rinsed)
4. Have new water ready. Use 75% old water and 25% new.
5. take your time and its not that bad
6. no reason to aerate fish unless its going to take more then 5 hours

When I moved to my house in Merced from San Jose, I did pretty much as described above. put the fish into a couple 5 gallon buckets, the rocks into another and filled with water, and the substrate into another and filled with water. Tossed in a powerhead into each of the fish buckets to aerate and provide flow. I was lucky that I had an unheated goldfish tank at that time so I didn't have to worry about keeping the buckets up to temp. Also, kept all of the water in the canister filter. The move went without a single loss. :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 66 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.0%
Back