Moving, With Large Reef Tank...

RealAriel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,
Im moving about 3 hrs away from where I've been living for several years, and ill be moving many tanks.

But it will be my first time moving a 55 gallon reef and a 120 gallon reef tank!

Fortunately, I do have another 55 and 120 I can setup and cycle before I arrive.

Im concerned about two major obstacles: stress control when in transit?
And which supplies is best for doing this correctly? ( where does one get heavy bags for large fishes? Air supplies for salties?)

Any tips would be appreciated!
Thank you! Best, Ariel

jblasi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,
Im moving about 3 hrs away from where I've been living for several years, and ill be moving many tanks.

But it will be my first time moving a 55 gallon reef and a 120 gallon reef tank!

Fortunately, I do have another 55 and 120 I can setup and cycle before I arrive.

Im concerned about two major obstacles: stress control when in transit?
And which supplies is best for doing this correctly? ( where does one get heavy bags for large fishes? Air supplies for salties?)

Any tips would be appreciated!
Thank you! Best, Ariel
When I moved my 200G peninsula, all my corals and fish were temporarily stored at another reefers house a 2 hours away. For the transit there and back for the fish and coral I had a couple 5 gallon buckets that I placed layered egg crate in. I notched put a corner for small heaters to slide into. My smaller fish went into the bottom of the buckets with coral on the egg crate. My larger fish were separated into the bigger buckets. I placed blankets around all the buckets to help insulate them for the transits. I have also used this method when driving back from Florida with frags and fish which is an 8 hour drive. This method has worked well for me. I hope this helps with your planning.

OP
OP
RealAriel

RealAriel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, jblasi!
The egg crate idea is brilliant.

ColoredRock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Friends.. even non reefers, can lift things. Develop a departure plan and an arrival plan on paper, who is doing what. Label what is in what box/container with a number and a discription that way non- reefers can grab something for you if you ask them for something.
That is more then half the battle. Moving and setting up everything sucks.... all those wires!!!!

Extra water.. both salt and fresh.

xclusive252

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I moved I placed the fish in a bucket with a heater and air and moved everything over slowly. I also had a large tank setup with Live rock from the original tank and just a pump and heater no lights and that worked great for the fish. For the corals I did what most ppl do and found a friend to hold but remember to QT anything you get back.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 50 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 37 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back