Moyer's wrasse on liveaquaria

CopperWopper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live has a few moyer's leopard wrasses on divers den. Not something I'm currently set up to get, but does anyone know a little more about them?
Screenshot_20190128-191717_Chrome.jpeg

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moyeri are like a less handsome Kuiteri and much hardier. @HotRocks and I each have one. I wish it was a Kuiteri though as they’re so much more stunning. IMO they’re a bit “meh” looking. I will probably eventually rehome mine.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have all the leopards as "expert only." Do you agree?
They are labeled expert because they require a mature tank, don't ship well, and can be difficult to feed and adapt to aquaria. IME they are one of the easier leopards to keep, and as mentioned above they are hardier than most of the others. Bluestar, choati, potters, etc are much more fragile. Quarantine with leopards can be a challenge. Moyeri, meleagris, and ornate seem to be the easier of the bunch to QT.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually like them pretty well. I thought about it but I don't think my Potter's wrasse (I've had for 6 years) would take too kindly to him.
I bet you'd be fine @saltyhog.
I keep several leopards, I have a pair of potters wrasse and other than the pair of potters mine have all been added at different times. My moyeri is actually the most docile of all of them.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm tempted, but I'm pretty attached to this guy....all but one of my grandkids are younger than him. So many wrasses....so little room!

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Believe moyers, along with vivienae and kuiteri, are all members of the kuiteri complex. I’ve never been able to find vivienae, and only kept kuiteri once, so a very small sample size on which to base useful conclusions about hardiness. I did buy a trio of moyers off DD a number of months ago and all are now happily ensconced in my display. I have a number of other leopards, and there was very little aggression. I do agree that the moyers is on the drab side; there are others that are more colorful. Ironically, my favorite remains the ‘original’. If you are fortunate enough to get a male meleagris, or have one change on you, they are spectacular.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 76 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.3%
Back