Mp10 magnet surface rust

Reef Plop

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an mp10 that I bought used with my tank and I was wondering if this is going to cause a problem in my new tank I just recently set up. The ceramic shaft is cracked so I plan on heat shrinking that tonight. I’ll post results later today after I get that done. I just don’t know if the magnet is going to cause problems I’ve cleaned it and the surface rust just comes back. Any tips and thoughts would be very appreciated.

IMG_4797.jpeg IMG_4796.jpeg IMG_4795.jpeg IMG_4794.jpeg

cdemoss01

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an mp10 that I bought used with my tank and I was wondering if this is going to cause a problem in my new tank I just recently set up. The ceramic shaft is cracked so I plan on heat shrinking that tonight. I’ll post results later today after I get that done. I just don’t know if the magnet is going to cause problems I’ve cleaned it and the surface rust just comes back. Any tips and thoughts would be very appreciated.

Could you possibly buy a replacement part?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what I’m supposed to be looking at? I don’t see any rust.

thedon986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I don't think there is exposed metal on that side of the magnet? Rust on these usually presents around the ceramic shaft or on the other side of the magnet directly opposite it. I guess I'm blind too because that doesn't look like rust on top of the plastic.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not only am I not blind, but my brain actually works. Plastic doesn’t rust lol. Thrilled that ETM is replacing it for you …..

OP
OP
Reef Plop

Reef Plop

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I’m just too concerned about it but I apologize for calling you blind. Maybe I’m just overthinking it. Yeah it is nice that they’re willing to replace it. Also nice that they’re in my home state PA, which I didn’t know. Thanks for all the help!

sandybottom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Had the same happen years ago with a used mp10. The magnet was swollen with rust and impeller wouldn’t turn and broke the shaft. Thankfully, Ecotech replaced it free of charge.

For what it’s worth, the previous owner prob used vinegar to clean. With my replacement, I’ve been using citric acid with no issues, going on 4 years+

OP
OP
Reef Plop

Reef Plop

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had the same happen years ago with a used mp10. The magnet was swollen with rust and impeller wouldn’t turn. Thankfully, Ecotech replaced it free of charge.

For what it’s worth, the previous owner prob used vinegar to clean. With my replacement, I’ve been using citric acid with no issues, going on 4 years+
That’s what I was thinking I tried just cleaning it with water and I had pretty much all of it wiped off and it would just come back. I’ll make sure I order some citric acid for when I clean it every other week. What brand of citric acid do you use?

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 65 43.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 70 47.3%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 13 8.8%
Back