Mp40….Are They Really Worth The Money?

vpierce3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some new pumps and I’m having a horrible time deciding.

I know many love the MP40s, but man, $500 a pop?! Are they really worth that crazy price tag?

The other pumps I’m considering are:
Maxspect 4000 gph Jump Gyres
AI Nero 5’s
Res Sea Reef Wave 45 Gyres

What say you?

My tank is 60”x24”x25”, 150 gallons.
Here is a pic of my rock work.
image.jpg

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some new pumps and I’m having a horrible time deciding.

I know many love the MP40s, but man, $500 a pop?! Are they really worth that crazy price tag?

The other pumps I’m considering are:
Maxspect 4000 gph Jump Gyres
AI Nero 5’s
Res Sea Reef Wave 45 Gyres

What say you?
It depends an what your looking for I have 2, and in the application I use them for they are perfect. I also have maxspect Gyeres and neros as well, all have their intended use.

What do you need them for, if your just looking to move water there are plenty of cheaper options that will do that.

OP
OP
vpierce3

vpierce3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends an what your looking for I have 2, and in the application I use them for they are perfect. I also have maxspect Gyeres and neros as well, all have their intended use.

What do you need them for, if your just looking to move water there are plenty of cheaper options that will do that.
I’m looking for a pump that will take care of basic flow, eliminating dead spots and have random flow setting. I also need something that can be adjusted power wise.
I want to replace my AC pumps, which have a ton of flow but no versatility.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking for a pump that will take care of basic flow, eliminating dead spots and have random flow setting. I also need something that can be adjusted power wise.
I want to replace my AC pumps, which have a ton of flow but no versatility.
I see your tank is a eurobrace as well, so I use the mp40's down low front and rear to make a circulation effect and gyres up at the surface to help eliminate the visible wires in the tank, I'd recommend the same setup for your tank, the mp40's with spare wet sides have been great for me . I would recommend them but the price is astronomical!! I think I paid 400-450 or something similarly stupid. Lol... great looking tank btw!

OP
OP
vpierce3

vpierce3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see your tank is a eurobrace as well, so I use the mp40's down low front and rear to make a circulation effect and gyres up at the surface to help eliminate the visible wires in the tank, I'd recommend the same setup for your tank, the mp40's with spare wet sides have been great for me . I would recommend them but the price is astronomical!! I think I paid 400-450 or something similarly stupid. Lol... great looking tank btw!
Thank you for the compliment and the feed back. I will definitely consider. It’s just hard for me to wrap my head around spending $1500 for pumps. Buy once, cry once, I guess.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the compliment and the feed back. I will definitely consider. It’s just hard for me to wrap my head around spending $1500 for pumps. Buy once, cry once, I guess.
To me it’s about what livestock you want to have versus all the cost, your budget, and the needs of the livestock plus your convenience/preference.

Maybe you can also elaborate on

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s totally false and you know it,
That was in said in jest and you know it.:face-blowing-a-kiss:

I was implying that I might get too roudy in my elaboration for a Saturday night on R2R.
Self sensorship.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 48 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 9.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back