MP40 and MP10 Power Issues

acesfull44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am looking for some help as to why I plug in my MP40 and/or MP10, and they shut off within a few minutes.

There is no blockage, I have cleaned them with vinegar so the movement on the wetside works fine.

They power up initially just fine, work for a minute or two, then just shut off. I have a brand new house with specific electric in my fish tank room for all my equipment (16 outlets total - 4 in each corner effectively). They are on seperate circuit breakers, none of which trip or get shut off. My lights, return pump, heaters, and 2 Red Sea wavemakers are constantly on and never have this issue. (And they are using the same electric outlets)

Any ideas?

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had similar issues, and they're typically indicative of two things:

a) a faulty power supply, or one that is failing. It's also possible, when buying used, to find power supplies that do not quite supply the appopriate power levels; and

b) a corroded wetside. If you pry them open, you may find the interiors to be corroded to the point that they're preventing them from operating correctly -- causing the unit to shut down.

OP
OP
acesfull44

acesfull44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
TY all for the responses. I have cleaned the wet side and they are not only free from any debris, but they spin SUPER easy, so I know that is not the issue.

As it turns out, my buddy said "have you tested the dry side when plugged in (without the wet side attached) to see if it still kicks off.

The MP10 did the same thing, ran for about 1 min and then shut off, so its clearly a dry side issue.

The MP40s, one shut off within the first minute or so, and another just ran and still hasn't shut off.

I used the same power source for each of the MP40s so not sure what is going on here.

OP
OP
acesfull44

acesfull44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So weird, I have had the one MP40 hooked up w/wet side in tank and its been running since my last post. No new news on the other MP40 and the MP10 so I will be calling Ecotech Monday.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TY all for the responses. I have cleaned the wet side and they are not only free from any debris, but they spin SUPER easy, so I know that is not the issue.

As it turns out, my buddy said "have you tested the dry side when plugged in (without the wet side attached) to see if it still kicks off.

The MP10 did the same thing, ran for about 1 min and then shut off, so its clearly a dry side issue.

The MP40s, one shut off within the first minute or so, and another just ran and still hasn't shut off.

I used the same power source for each of the MP40s so not sure what is going on here.
At this point we need to establish what version of pumps you have? There are older models that detect magnetic coupling and if it doesn't detect it, it will shut the dryside off..

Another thing we need to know is the color of lights on the driver when you experience your problems. It should cycle through different colors indicated what the issue is.

Then you should at least determine weather or not you have the appropriate power supplies for both models.

xabo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When I've had this happen it's after cleaning the westside. A little lube on the ceramic shaft clears it up.

OP
OP
acesfull44

acesfull44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
At this point we need to establish what version of pumps you have? There are older models that detect magnetic coupling and if it doesn't detect it, it will shut the dryside off..

Another thing we need to know is the color of lights on the driver when you experience your problems. It should cycle through different colors indicated what the issue is.

Then you should at least determine weather or not you have the appropriate power supplies for both models.

The circle dial in middle shows green when originally powered up, then after a minute the unit shuts down and there is no color to report as it turns off. It does not cycle through colors either powering up or shutting off on its own.

1670187318568.png

1670187332146.png

Ober_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My MP40 is under a year old and not working after multiple cleanings, I’m getting the blinking red and green light on the Vortech controller itself. I reached out to Ecotech via the chat function on the app and the lady I connected with was super helpful. She ,without any fuss, sent me new wet side after I explained to her what was going on. The only thing is this has not fixed this issue.….All this to say is my experience with ecotech has been very good so far and I would recommend reaching out to them if you haven’t. Really hoping they do the right thing when they respond to my recent correspondence about the wet side not being the fix thus far.

OP
OP
acesfull44

acesfull44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Did you check to make sure the power supply is correct and/or working properly?
I have tried 4 different power supply's. None of which work, and the one MP40 I actually got to work, and has been working ever since, I tested that particular power cord with the other MP40 and MP10 and they both just shut down after being on for less than 1 minute. I suppose that means I have a bad dry side?

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried 4 different power supply's. None of which work, and the one MP40 I actually got to work, and has been working ever since, I tested that particular power cord with the other MP40 and MP10 and they both just shut down after being on for less than 1 minute. I suppose that means I have a bad dry side?
It seems there's enough ambiguity here that can be misconstrued.

When you say "power cord" I'm led to understand you only swapped the cord and not the power supply.

Can you look at the power supply and relay the volts, amps and watts printed on them.

The mp40qd psu is 32v 1.875A. And the mp10qd is 24v 1.5A.
20221204_204947.jpg

20221204_205102.jpg

Plugging the power supply from the mp40 into the mp10 could've easily damaged the mp10 driver.

However taking a known good psu from an mp40 and testing the other mp40 can mean that the connector on the driver might be corroded, can you see any visible signs of corrosion in the connection port?

If it's not something simple like the wrong psu or easily cleaning the socket you'll have to contact etm and work out a solution.

Ober_Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new wet side did not solve my issue, they requested I send mine out to them. I’m shipping it out tomorrow and hoping for the best. Hope you find your issue soon too!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 27 60.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.4%
Back