MP40 best mode for Soft/LPS corals?

Avengerx77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have an MP40 on my 60 gal tank, which is a bit overpowered but due to my glass thickness, was left with no other option to go with it. I don't have any corals yet, but I am planning to have mainly LPS/soft corals. I am running the MP40 at 25% intensity on the Reef Crest mode, but my feeling is will be too much flow for corals.

I am wondering from your experience if maybe the Lagoon mode is more suitable for those type of corals and if I should dial down the intensity to something around 15-20%. But if I move to lagoon maybe I need to keep a higher intensity .

Any thoughts? Also my MP40 is currently aligned to the mid level rock section where most LPS corals will be placed, so they might get a direct flow.

image0.jpeg

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No expert for sure but since you haven't had any answers yet I'll tell you how I'm running my MP40 on a smaller tank.

I have a mix of softies, LPS, and easier SPS in my 50g lagoon. I use a NemProtect guard on the MP40 which I figure is worth mentioning since I'm sure it changes the flow. I have mine on the side pointed along the back wall about mid way up. Why? Honestly because in a tank my size, particularly with the nem guard, it's big and ugly and it's less obvious back there. That said it does seem to create a really good circular flow around the tank and gives me a number of options for mounting corals that have different flow preferences. I program it to change the flow according to my lighting schedule, but mostly run in lagoon mode at 60%. I used to have it a bit higher but had trouble with it occasionally getting out of balance and sucking in debris.

Here is my schedule:

flow.jpg

Constant Stream when lights are off at 50%, Lagoon mode during the day and during moonlight, 60% and 55%. Hope this gives you a place to start.

OP
OP
Avengerx77

Avengerx77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, actually I was leaning to mix the modes as well, having lagoon for most of the time to align with the regular lights and have the ReefCrest during early morning and night, but maybe I can incorporate the Constant speed when they are sleeping. I can see you have very strong flow at 50-60% maybe due to what you mentioned the NemProtect guard, may I ask what are your tank dimensions? Mine is 32” from where the MP 40 is to the other side of the tank and I feel 25% is a bit strong, but dont have yet any coral to really tell.

captain_jimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there. Wanted to chime in on strength.

I run 2x mp40's in an 80g display.
I have had mine running at around 50-60% and found myself battling algae build up in dead spots.

I have been doing diligent algae removal lately and have had them running on nutrient transport at 100% and I've noticed that the areas that had heavy algae buildup (corners, behind the rocks etc) are staying much cleaner.

I am setting up a new program and am going to try to run at least a period of high strength nutrient transport every day to flush stuff out.

Just my 2c.

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, actually I was leaning to mix the modes as well, having lagoon for most of the time to align with the regular lights and have the ReefCrest during early morning and night, but maybe I can incorporate the Constant speed when they are sleeping. I can see you have very strong flow at 50-60% maybe due to what you mentioned the NemProtect guard, may I ask what are your tank dimensions? Mine is 32” from where the MP 40 is to the other side of the tank and I feel 25% is a bit strong, but dont have yet any coral to really tell.

• Display DIMS: Length 29.14” Width: 18.75” Height: 16.14”
Here's a FTS so you can see how I have things arranged. I originally had it placed similar to what you are doing with it centered on one side (I had it on the right) but found everything was getting blasted no matter what. Putting it in the back not only hid it away but also gave a bit more variety in flow around the tank.

fts.jpg

Hi there. Wanted to chime in on strength.

I run 2x mp40's in an 80g display.
I have had mine running at around 50-60% and found myself battling algae build up in dead spots.

I have been doing diligent algae removal lately and have had them running on nutrient transport at 100% and I've noticed that the areas that had heavy algae buildup (corners, behind the rocks etc) are staying much cleaner.

I am setting up a new program and am going to try to run at least a period of high strength nutrient transport every day to flush stuff out.

Just my 2c.

I've considered doing something like this as well with nutrient transport mode but haven't decided how to fit it in. My big rock structure can be a massive detritus trap and then there's the spot where the clowns hang out that we not so affectionately call the clown toilet lol.

OP
OP
Avengerx77

Avengerx77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks that is also my fear that corals will get blasted, but unfortunately not sure if I will be able able to put the dry side of the MP40 behind the back of the glass. I dont see many dead spots, but will be more concern when I have corals. Maybe lowering the intensity when corals are open and increase the flow at night when they are close to ensure no detritus are built up.

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks that is also my fear that corals will get blasted, but unfortunately not sure if I will be able able to put the dry side of the MP40 behind the back of the glass. I dont see many dead spots, but will be more concern when I have corals. Maybe lowering the intensity when corals are open and increase the flow at night when they are close to ensure no detritus are built up.

How it hits your rocks will influence your placement and power, too. In my case when I had it centered on the right side there was nothing in the way of the hurricane but going across the back of the tank from the left put some significant rockwork along its path to break things up.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back