Mp40 flow help

reefz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got 2 mp40’s on my 150 mixed reef, and i’m running both at 65% on reefcrest and 40% lagoon at night. They’ve been running at 40% for over a year and just changed it because I like the way higher flow looks on my coral. It’s mostly a LPS/ Softie tank with some sps.

Question: Does the flow seem to high or just right? Things aren’t moving too crazy but can’t tell if I should lower it back down. Like what do the experts say?
image.jpg

Attachments

• 65370422311__71ED8C05-98C8-435D-B3FA-BCA1A4B5BAEE.MOV
    3 MB

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank looks great! What, exactly, are your concerns?

I have a MP40 on my 65g at 40% lagoon full time. It makes the abundant aiptasia fields sway and dance in the flow.

OP
OP
reefz

reefz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank looks great! What, exactly, are your concerns?

I have a MP40 on my 65g at 40% lagoon full time. It makes the abundant aiptasia fields sway and dance in the flow.
Ive seen people say they run there's at 5-10% and thought its bad to go any higher. I couldn't find any information on what intensity you should have them at. But if 65% doesn't raise any red flags to anyone then I'll consider it safe :)

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're firefish isn't pasted against the far wall of the tank by the flow, I'd say you're good. :)

Currents and water flow around reefs tends to be a lot stronger than our powerheads. I think we can prioritize aesthetics over function with some of our equipment use. I like softly pulsing xenias and waving kenya trees as much as anyone else, but they seem to be much happier when I really up the flow.

Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dana Riddle gave this great MACNA talk about PAR and flow and pretty much stated that our tanks should have as much flow as possible. I find the higher the flow the better my corals look. The video is a wealth of info if you get a chance to watch it (I even have it bookmarked on my phone).

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, they certainly reduce the amount of free-floating food in the tank!
I'm currently working on APR(aiptasia phosphate reducer)filter basically off that idea it just requires the display tank to have a few peppermint shrimp or coral banded butterfly.

water from display goes directly to the APR then filter sox, which will reduce the amount of food waste that goes into the Sox. Cutting down phosphates and nitrates. Plus it contains Aiptasia in their own habitat and not the display tank.

It could work......if it was clear and had a light on it, it would be interesting to watch

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm currently working on APR(aiptasia phosphate reducer)filter basically off that idea it just requires the display tank to have a few peppermint shrimp or coral banded butterfly.

water from display goes directly to the APR then filter sox, which will reduce the amount of food waste that goes into the Sox. Cutting down phosphates and nitrates. Plus it contains Aiptasia in their own habitat and not the display tank.

It could work......if it was clear and had a light on it, it would be interesting to watch
You’d have to ensure that the sock mesh has a small enough micron weave that it could filter out larvae. That sounds a bit risky…

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.8%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 33 16.8%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back