Mp40 mp60 how costly is the maintence?

1guydude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often or how many times have you had to replace the wetside or dryside of your mp40 or mp60? Im looking at buying one but afraid of the "hum hum hum" noise. I know they have come.out with qd "quiet drive" and the new wifi or wireless one. Not sure what theyre called...also afraid of one side dying on me and essentially having to buy an all new $600 mp60 side... ty all.
Im drawn to these over the octo pulse pumps because of the cord not being internal. The octo pules does a good gph and would be adaptable to an upgraded dt later... so would an mp60.
Ty all for input.
D

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No absolutely do not use vinegar! Vinegar is known to eat into certain plastics and cause the magnets to swell(specifically the MP line of pumps are known for this). Use citric acid instead(just as safe to use as vinegar(which is also a known acid)), and won't cause the plastic to degrade. Just do a search around here for swollen MP magnets. You'll find 99% of the time it was because they were cleaned in vinegar.

My MP's have been going strong for about 5 years now with little no issues. Did have an issue with the wet side when I bought them, but ecotech promptly replaced them free of charge, and even over nighted them to me.

Think I clean them about twice a year, and have never needed to replace a wet side, yet. Little pricey, sure, but for reliability alone, worth every penny I payed for them.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would only buy QD models at this point. The older ES models are all 5 plus years old. QD are pretty quiet unless you are hyper sensitive to noise. I’ve owned 15 vortechs, give or take, and never had to replace a Dryside. Some of my current ones date from 2013. I killed a driver due to user error, but otherwise no problems with those either. I usually get about 5 years out of a wetside.

OP
OP
1guydude

1guydude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive heard great things about their tech support and now their customer service. I am by no means a tech nerd and more of a biology nerd why i havent bought these yet.
Im doin it. Mp60. Savin up now.

If i get an mp10 to go with it...they will sync up? Easily? It will only widen the flow or cause a little turbulence im hoping if i put it on an opposite wall when i upgrade.

The upgrade is a 4x4x2 essentially.
So i could put the mp60qd lower mid one side back wall and the mp10qd upper mid other side back wall or i could put the mp10qd on a view panel and cause flow patterns like a mother im hopin. Lol.

I prefer linear gyre flow from the bottom up. I like upflow if that makes sense to the return. Lol hope im makin sense.
I think these two units will cost me around $1000 but will be a great buy.
D

driftin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Vortech has been running since 2009. (Yikes!!) I replaced the wetside once in that time, I think I killed the original with vinegar baths (as noted above). Replaced the prop a couple times.

Now the power connection on the controller is starting to corrode and get spotty. It has been in the sump cabinet humidity for its whole life, so I guess it's not surprising.

Yates273

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second Ecotech customer service. They are GREAT!!! I purchased an Mp10qd that is 3 years old here on R2R. When I installed the wetside was loud and no matter what I did I couldn’t silence it. I called Ecotech. They told me to send it in amd they would replace free of charge all I was responsible for was shipping to and from. Well when they got my wetside they sent me an email that they were covering it under full warranty and I wasn’t responsible for shipping both ways. That says a lot about them and I will not hesitate to buy another. KUDOS to Ecotech !!

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back