mp40-qd scratching/ticking noise repair

Colin_S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for ages now my mp40 has been making a noise. I do clean it every 6 months or so with citric acid but the noise doesn't go. The best way to describe the noise is like a scratching or ticking noise. It sounded like the magnets were rubbing or something was broke and rattling around. Anyway i had had enough so decided to look into it.
I won't bore with everything and get straight to the point.

On the wet side, i dissembled the propeller and took it apart. The propeller sits on a white plastic sleeve, that sits over a metal arm. The white plastic sleeve spins with the propeller, this is what was making the noise, i could hear it scratching when i tested it. Obviously i dont have spares so i flipped the white sleeve over (the top is now at the bottom) and it's no longer scratching. I re-assembled the unit, put it back in the tank and its completely silent!

I am going to email ecotech and see if its possible to order spare parts. Hopefully this might help someone out. it took me 10mins on the wetside so it's easily done

IMG_20210628_203144925.jpg
IMG_20210628_203126928_2.jpg

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just epoxy it back on, ecotech has great customer service but the only part they will sell is a new wetside for what your doing.

OP
OP
Colin_S

Colin_S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
see i thought it was meant to spin with the propeller lol, now I know its broken..
have you had any success epoxying it? Right now mines silent, so ill leave it be but if it starts making noise again, I know what the issue is

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have you had any success epoxying it?
Mine has never broke like that, you dont want that spinning. It will wear and then you wont get it centered perfectly if it wears to much. Epoxy is reef safe, and it wont take much to get it attached again. Once epoxied it will remain silent

OP
OP
Colin_S

Colin_S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ill get some epoxy tomorrow and glue it... gorilla glue good?

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an after thought, when you reassemble them, lube it with vegetable glycerin.

edindubai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a couple of brand new qd mp40s in Dec in UK very disappointed. One of the outer sections started to rattle and grind after a few months have switched the wet sides so know that part is not the issue. The spacer works to amplify the noise. It's a bit hit and miss how often it gets the propellor started too and if you shake it it rattles. I keep the quiet one going and turn the noisey one off much if the time. I wouldn't recommend them they seem very delicate but having said that one remains fine so take your gamble. As not headed back to UK for a while no easy return option if still under warranty so waiting for a good vid to crack into it and investigate otherwise

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back