MP40 vs MP60 for 6ft tank?

AI Hydra

sanzz18

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Hey everyone. I bought a waterbox 220.6 and was wondering if I should go with mp40s or mp60s. The glass is 3/4” thick. I like SPS to cover the upper rock scape but love LPS and everything else, so definitely mixed reef. What do you guys think?

Click to watch best scape method in 5 easy steps!

JGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Hey everyone. I bought a waterbox 220.6 and was wondering if I should go with mp40s or mp60s. The glass is 3/4” thick. I like SPS to cover the upper rock scape but love LPS and everything else, so definitely mixed reef. What do you guys think?
2 60s, 1 on each end , alternating currents- if your wallet can support it.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I have a 180 gallon tank, a 6 footer. I have an mp60 on the left and 2 mp40’s on the right. The 60’s give a great amount of flow, but if I were to do it again, I would have 4 mp40’s, 2 on each side. My 60 is somewhat noisier than my 2 mp40’s. And my mp60 never worked right with my reeflink.

Maxout

metzer

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Are you running a bare bottom or sand?

On my bare bottom, i start to have vortexes or sucking air whirpools from the water surface when i have my MP 60 off the bottom of the tank, so the MP 60 is placed directly on the bottom. I found that MP40s dont haven enough umph to keep the detritus off the bottom, again running a bare bottom. To correct this issue i run one in each corner of the six foot tank, all on reef crest and some gyres up higher in the tank. But i found that i can have MP 40s higher on the glass before they start creating vortexes unlike the MP 60. Point of reference, I am talking about 23-25" deep tanks.

OP
S

sanzz18

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
4 mp40s. Then you can place them high or low or wherever you want. It will allow for a more random flow as well.
That has crossed my mine lately.
Are you running a bare bottom or sand?

On my bare bottom, i start to have vortexes or sucking air whirpools from the water surface when i have my MP 60 off the bottom of the tank, so the MP 60 is placed directly on the bottom. I found that MP40s dont haven enough umph to keep the detritus off the bottom, again running a bare bottom. To correct this issue i run one in each corner of the six foot tank, all on reef crest and some gyres up higher in the tank. But i found that i can have MP 40s higher on the glass before they start creating vortexes unlike the MP 60. Point of reference, I am talking about 23-25" deep tanks.
I am 100% running sand. I like the natural look of the sand and some of the livestock you are able to keep because of it.

RAP
OP
S

sanzz18

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
From what I heard, not 100% sure though, that it was a previous issue on older models and the 3/4" glass. Not sure though.

AS

Mywifeisgunnakillme

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I got a 200 gallon peninsula, with 3/4" glass. Was thinking this same debate through.

I think i want the mp60's, two on bottom of overflow end and two mp40's also on over flow end. Really don't t want pumps or gear on any other side of the tank .

Will this work?

Other options other than MP's

Ben Pedersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I am setting up a 300 gallon peninsula.. 6' x 3' x 27" tall. I was going to do 2 MP60s up high on one side and 3 MP40s lower down on the same side. I was also considering a large Gyre up high on the other side. I don' want to see the pumps on the 3 sides of the tank.

Wont be running bare bottom so am a little worried about sand in the water column. I have been looking for a large quantity if reef bones to use in the high flow areas instead of sand.

Hope this works :)

Aquarium Specialty - dry goods & marine livestock
AI Nero 5

Do you house a "Reef Safe" Angelfish in your reef tank?

• YES and it's going good

Votes: 180 40.8%
  • YES but it's not working out

Votes: 12 2.7%
  • NO I have tried it in the past and it didn't work out

Votes: 38 8.6%
  • NO I haven't tried yet

Votes: 196 44.4%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 15 3.4%
Chemi-pure.com - All-In-One Aquarium Filtration