mp40 wetside spinning!!

reefz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my mp40 wetside is spinning. I cleaned it and now it spins every time I turn it on. Anyone know how to fix it?

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you by any chance lose the rubber sole that is between the unit and the glass? That happened to mine. Fell off when I removed the wet side and realize and was at the bottom of the tank.

OP
OP
reefz

reefz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you by any chance lose the rubber sole that is between the unit and the glass? That happened to mine. Fell off when I removed the wet side and realize and was at the bottom of the tank.
Nope it’s still on it.

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your glass thickness?

I have 3/4" glass and the MP40 does not hold on to it very well.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check the magnet to see if it is now swollen (from loss of integrity of the plastic case). If and when the magnet swells, it binds to the housing and causes the entire wetside to spin.

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also see if the impeller spins freely. if not it is probably swelling like redfishbluefish suggested above. I just had one freeze up. I tried cleaning it and got it move a little but nothing like it should so time to replace the wet side.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean by swell?

@DC Reefer said it better than I. Here are examples. Note these are from older versions of MP40's:

1632698854542.png

1632698891815.png

1632698937082.png

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my mp40 wetside is spinning. I cleaned it and now it spins every time I turn it on. Anyone know how to fix it?
I had this happen

It was none of the things listed so far. Clean the glass. Try again

You've maybe already tried this but I'm going to toss it out there as it worked for me. Weirdly, I thought I *had* cleaned the glass, so it took another scraping or two then lining up dry and wet side and then it didn't spin any more.

OP
OP
reefz

reefz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@DC Reefer said it better than I. Here are examples. Note these are from older versions of MP40's:

1632698854542.png

1632698891815.png

1632698937082.png
If water penetrates the plastic magnet protection the magnet will rust and start to swell and it will bind in the housing and no longer spin freely.
It doesn’t have any swelling. The propeller spins freely aswell. Everything works perfectly fine it just spins.

OP
OP
reefz

reefz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this happen

It was none of the things listed so far. Clean the glass. Try again

You've maybe already tried this but I'm going to toss it out there as it worked for me. Weirdly, I thought I *had* cleaned the glass, so it took another scraping or two then lining up dry and wet side and then it didn't spin any more.
I cleaned the glass already and the wetside itself. Btw this is a brand new redsea tank no previous algae. Still spins though

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cleaned the glass already and the wetside itself. Btw this is a brand new redsea tank no previous algae. Still spins though
mine was a nearly new wetside replacement that had that spinning problem (after 1st cleaning)

Hal3134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine does this occasionally on my 3/4 inch glass. usually Cleaning the glass and adjusting the position of the wet side vs the dry side fixes it.

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a redsea 525xl. I think it’s 3/4inch

I think that one is 5/8.

On mine with 3/4, mine will slowly spin sometimes. As in so slow that it would take about a minute to do a single revolution, but it's spinning. It usually catches on something and/or fall down a little and fix. Eventually it gets to the point where it sticks fine, even without the magnet.

I've also had times when the mp40 was beating up against the glass. The wet side stuck without the magnet on the other side, and for whatever reason the outside part would bounce off the glass due to the magnets. I turn it off, line them back up and it fixes, but it's pretty annoying. I previously had it with the cord going down instead of up, and it bounced off the side of the tank and hit the floor, causing the bearings to make noise.

If yours is slowly spinning, like barely moving, then you should be able to find a spot where it stops. If it's spinning faster, then I'm not sure other than something is making it too slick.

OP
OP
reefz

reefz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that one is 5/8.

On mine with 3/4, mine will slowly spin sometimes. As in so slow that it would take about a minute to do a single revolution, but it's spinning. It usually catches on something and/or fall down a little and fix. Eventually it gets to the point where it sticks fine, even without the magnet.

I've also had times when the mp40 was beating up against the glass. The wet side stuck without the magnet on the other side, and for whatever reason the outside part would bounce off the glass due to the magnets. I turn it off, line them back up and it fixes, but it's pretty annoying. I previously had it with the cord going down instead of up, and it bounced off the side of the tank and hit the floor, causing the bearings to make noise.

If yours is slowly spinning, like barely moving, then you should be able to find a spot where it stops. If it's spinning faster, then I'm not sure other than something is making it too slick.
I run them at 50% short pulse and It spins kind of slow. If I lower the speed down lower then 20% it stops spinning. Ive moved it around to fined the best spot and it doesnt change. It starts spinning fast when I put it up to 75%+.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back