MP40 with Gyre

Irishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank finished cycling and have some clean up crew Otw to the house next week. I decided to get the water movement in my tank going. I am using an MP40 (yellow circle in pic) and maxspect Gyre XF250 (yellow square in pic). It a 180 tank.

51B4C30D-A384-45A5-A56D-F5FEBB1BE169.jpeg

This combo is wrecking havick on my drain system, dual Herbie with 2 emergency drains. I had ever tuned perfectly before I turned them on.

I’m only having problem with one drain, I was able to stable the other one. With the drain that is giving me problems, when the MP40 kicks into high gear is rushes all the water to the weir, overflows it and rushes down the emergency drain. When I tune the drain it plummets the water level roughly 4” above the full siphone

Should I go to one wave maker? Use them in a different way? I’m all ears for any suggestions.

ludnix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be the Herbie be over tuned or closed down too much? Sometimes it can take a few minutes for everythig to catch up with how it's been adjusted.

If the Herbie is tuned ideally maybe you can just change the mp40 settings to a be a little less on/off and more constant? I would hesitate to reduce flow if you want SPS as it's very important.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be the Herbie be over tuned or closed down too much? Sometimes it can take a few minutes for everythig to catch up with how it's been adjusted.

If the Herbie is tuned ideally maybe you can just change the mp40 settings to a be a little less on/off and more constant? I would hesitate to reduce flow if you want SPS as it's very important.
Agree. I think you will eventually want the flow benefits.

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have the same issue with the drain on my reefer 350 and my gyre if it’s turned up at all. It will force water down the emergency drain.

A guy on the Red Sea owners Facebook 3D printed these things which are supposed to stop it. Pretty neat solution. If I had a printer I’d make one. You may be able to do something similar.

0396E8A7-1F67-4BE3-8B80-E3A349EEF742.jpeg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back