Mp40

Marksreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like my old school four-year-old MP 40 bearing is out. Should I rebuild it or just buy a new one. Of course the west side

road_runner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like my old school four-year-old MP 40 bearing is out. Should I rebuild it or just buy a new one. Of course the west side
If the issue only on the wet side in would buy new wet side and get done with it.

OP
OP
Marksreef

Marksreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the issue only on the wet side in would buy new wet side and get done with it.
Thanks. I was just wondering if a small little bearing would be cheaper, easier. I got the get it done part, but I have enough flow to work on this one for a while.

Amps Reef Life

That Fish Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just replace the wet side. Unless you really want to upgrade to that quite drive and have a black controller. There is a difference but honestly if it doesn't bother you the way its now just go with the wet side.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're talking bearings, you're talking the dry side. The wet side, on the older MP40's have a solid ceramic bearing....no rebuilding to do there.

But the dry side can be rebuilt by purchasing bearing for about $15 - $20 dollars. If I can find the post about my rebuild, I'll edit it in here.

OP
OP
Marksreef

Marksreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're talking bearings, you're talking the dry side. The wet side, on the older MP40's have a solid ceramic bearing....no rebuilding to do there.

But the dry side can be rebuilt by purchasing bearing for about $15 - $20 dollars. If I can find the post about my rebuild, I'll edit it in here.
Oh ok I looked too quick. Thanks. I’ll just order another. Wet side

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, OK....wetside can't be "rebuilt"....only the dry side. So you did the right thing in ordering a new wetside....I've had to do that with all my "old" MP's.

And FYI, don't clean the magnet in vinegar. Only use vinegar on non-magnet parts. You can use other acids (diluted muriatic acid or citric acid), on the magnets, but I just wash mine with water and a brush.

OP
OP
Marksreef

Marksreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, OK....wetside can't be "rebuilt"....only the dry side. So you did the right thing in ordering a new wetside....I've had to do that with all my "old" MP's.

And FYI, don't clean the magnet in vinegar. Only use vinegar on non-magnet parts. You can use other acids (diluted muriatic acid or citric acid), on the magnets, but I just wash mine with water and a brush.
I’ve never heard that and had these for years. I soak it in vinegar for a week and all the sudden they were no good. Maybe that’s why? What does the vinegar ruin?

redfishbluefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if it was your problem, but vinegar is able to penetrate plastic, and attack the magnet, causing it to swell.

Acids undergo dissociation in aqueous solution, which is commonly shown as:

HA(aq)+H2O(l)⇌H3O+(aq)+A−(aq)

where HA is the acid. In the case of acetic acid, it very poorly dissociates into acetate and hydrogen, and predominately remains as the "uncharged" acetic acid (HA). (As a comparative, Hydrochloric acid readily dissociated). As a small uncharged compound, it can now penetrate the plastic, and eventual get to the magnet and cause it to rust and swell. It's happened to me, three times over, with the wetsides of MP40's. I can't take credit for "discovering" this....it was Randy Holmes Farley that originally enlightened me to the acetic acid thing. Here's what he said:

I think the effect on plastic may be worse with vinegar than muriatic acid but it may depend on the plastic.

Vinegar can be in the form of acetic acid and that neutral molecule can enter plastic. Diluted muriatic acid won't have any neutral acidic molecules in it to enter plastic, so just exposes the outermost leading edge of plastic. So while the muriatic acid after dilution is a much stronger acid, i would not assume it is worse on plastics.

FWIW, I've used diluted muriatic acid for decades as have others, and I've not heard of cords being damaged, but I've also not inspected them closely.

Ever since I saw this, and my experience with regularly cleaning with vinegar, and the loss of three wetsides, I've stopped using vinegar on any and all magnets.

OP
OP
Marksreef

Marksreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. I’ve read a lot over the 17 years I’ve been doing this and never seen this.
It makes perfect sense.
I’m %99.9 this is what happened.
Thanks for that. I’m sure somewhere, I’ll pass it along.
2 new wet sides for me ✌️

Amps Reef Life

That Fish Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Not sure if it was your problem, but vinegar is able to penetrate plastic, and attack the magnet, causing it to swell.

where HA is the acid. In the case of acetic acid, it very poorly dissociates into acetate and hydrogen, and predominately remains as the "uncharged" acetic acid (HA). (As a comparative, Hydrochloric acid readily dissociated). As a small uncharged compound, it can now penetrate the plastic, and eventual get to the magnet and cause it to rust and swell. It's happened to me, three times over, with the wetsides of MP40's. I can't take credit for "discovering" this....it was Randy Holmes Farley that originally enlightened me to the acetic acid thing. Here's what he said:

I think the effect on plastic may be worse with vinegar than muriatic acid but it may depend on the plastic.

Vinegar can be in the form of acetic acid and that neutral molecule can enter plastic. Diluted muriatic acid won't have any neutral acidic molecules in it to enter plastic, so just exposes the outermost leading edge of plastic. So while the muriatic acid after dilution is a much stronger acid, i would not assume it is worse on plastics.

FWIW, I've used diluted muriatic acid for decades as have others, and I've not heard of cords being damaged, but I've also not inspected them closely.

Ever since I saw this, and my experience with regularly cleaning with vinegar, and the loss of three wetsides, I've stopped using vinegar on any and all magnets.

WOWOWOWOW, thats really good information. I need to look into my MP40's I havent cleaned them very often when I do I normally scrub them inside the tank with a brush just to get the algae off but I have soaked them in vinegar before. This is good information I will be sharing with a few local friends.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think there’s verifiable data that a dilute vinegar soak actually degrades the magnet coating. However, since it’s unnecessary, probably wise to not do it just in case. The only part that really needs vinegar is the plastic cage.

Regardless, getting four years from a wetside is pretty good. They develop ‘slop’ after a while and get noisy (or fall off). I only have one of the old style MP40s and it got a new wetside after four years. None of my QD models have required a new one yet. Plus, the newer MP40 wetside is a better design.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think there’s verifiable data that a dilute vinegar soak actually degrades the magnet coating. However, since it’s unnecessary, probably wise to not do it just in case. The only part that really needs vinegar is the plastic cage.

Regardless, getting four years from a wetside is pretty good. They develop ‘slop’ after a while and get noisy (or fall off). I only have one of the old style MP40s and it got a new wetside after four years. None of my QD models have required a new one yet. Plus, the newer MP40 wetside is a better design.
Plus, I read on ecotech’s website a month or so ago that a 50/50 mixture of hot water and vinegar was their recommended soaking solution... one hour of time, scrub, rinse, ready to go.

OP
OP
Marksreef

Marksreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well they were only run at 2 if that makes it any better, but they were fine till I thought Id soak them for a week each opposite of each other then BAM.
Im getting ready to take it apart and see what broke or wore out.
What better about the new wetsides?

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Er

Very interesting.

SteelerMike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, I just ran my old style MP40 in a tank with vinegar and water to both clean the tank and the power head and since putting it back into use cannot get in to not be noisy. Wonder if something happened. BTW when buying a wetside, can you use the new style wetside with the old white driver?

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 38 42.7%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 45 50.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 6 6.7%
Back