MP40s on 3/4" glass?

|Tom the Bomb|

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got 2 MP40s for my new reefer 900, which has 3/4" glass and when I tested putting it on the outer half kept partially sliding off, I mean it didn't 100% fall off but it looked like it will fall off any time which is worrisome. I mean the maximum glass rating for it is 3/4in so I thought I was good.

I was gonna go swap them for MP60s instead but I wanted some advice from you guys :)
build thread here

coralfishreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has 3/4” glass and the MP40s stick to the glass but the connection isn’t strong. The sticky rubber on the dry side needs to be clean, the glass needs to be clean, and the cord needs to be secured with the sticky pad zip tie mount. It wouldn’t take much for a larger fish to knock the wet side out of alignment.

Jcascioli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 2 on my Cade 1800 which is 3/4”.. I’ve had one fall off once in 6 months so far. Not really a big deal. I wouldn’t suggest going up to 60’s.. just keep the glass and sticky pad clean

OP
OP
|Tom the Bomb|

|Tom the Bomb|

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has 3/4” glass and the MP40s stick to the glass but the connection isn’t strong. The sticky rubber on the dry side needs to be clean, the glass needs to be clean, and the cord needs to be secured with the sticky pad zip tie mount. It wouldn’t take much for a larger fish to knock the wet side out of alignment.
oh I see!!
first time using the vortech's I thought the spacers were for smaller tanks only
my bad... should've done more research :)
I run 2 on my Cade 1800 which is 3/4”.. I’ve had one fall off once in 6 months so far. Not really a big deal. I wouldn’t suggest going up to 60’s.. just keep the glass and sticky pad clean
ok thanks! I'll just stick with the 40s for now

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Securing the cable made the biggest difference for me. I'm not using the rubber pad either, but maybe I should try putting them back on.

Cjeippert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 mp40s. No problem with red sea 650 peninsula version 1. However, DT failed and my new version 2 has thicker glass. 3/4 inch. Now they fall off every couple weeks. Sometimes the wet side spins in a circle. Very week connection that big tangs can knock off. I have to ensure a very clean connection by scrapping every little white calcium snail and coraline. They typically have problems on start up after I feed my corals, so at least I am home to take corrective action.

Cjeippert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mp60s are too much money and way too powerful for a 140 gallon mixed reef tank. If all sps, i might switch to mp60s.

Back